Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help on an Oxy-Acetylene outfit
- - By DaxE Date 01-12-2004 23:03
Hello all, new to the board. I am starting to dable in blacksmithing and have started to need to be able to cut/weld here lately. I am looking for a setup that would mainly be used for cutting 1/16" to 1/2" mostly with some 2" stuff here and there and welding 1/4 and below. This is just a hobby for me and not going to see daily use/abuse. I am going to need tanks and all by the way. Hoping to spend around $300 or so. Just wondering what you all thought would be the best setup for my needs.

Thanks.
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 01-13-2004 01:11
Wellcome,
Some random thoughts:
Your budget is probably on target. You might want to invest a bit more but you're probably around entry, considering I have not priced equipment lately..

I'm not sure of the designation of the ESAB torch I have, but it's a nice little performer for welding... it was, I think, called an aircraft torch and is their smallest. It may be carrying a Prestolite brand now, I'm not sure. When I was 9 or so I got a small Craftsman cutting and welding set I still use, allthough I dislike the "feel" of the original regulators.

When selecting your cutting torch be sure not to oversize your tip. Too large a tip will give slaggy cuts, and many cheap outfits seem to want to impress you with the thickness they will cut, so consider the thin stuff. The 2" may be a little tough... how little is "here and there"? Just be sure to find a properly sized tip that's available for your set, even if it's at additional cost, if you want a good, clean flame cut to be proud of. Of course the welding tips must also be properly sized for the job as well.
(fuel consumption of the largest tip is the basis for calculating your tank size- it's usually a cutting tip)

I think more preheat jets on the cutting tip is better than less when all else is equal. (preheat orfices surround the O2 orfice on the face of the tip- a size "0" tip with six orfices is probably better than one with four)

As long as the set can maintain a steady flame, is comfortable to hold, balanced, and the adjustments dont get in the way of glove-cuffs and the like I personally think you will not find much difference between brands in occasional use. Regulators should fit close enough to the tanks to avoid becoming their own hazard; smaller sized are probably more appropriate for the smaller tanks. Single stage are suitable, and I prefer each regulator to have two gauges on it to indicate both gas [pressure] in the tank as well as pressure at the supply line; steer clear of the really cheap ones with no gauges- unless my eyes were deceiveing me they do exist.

One thing I am called upon to do from time to time is carefully (that's spelled "with care") chuck a torch in a small vise when working alone. If it's design will accomondate that, it may be a plus. I'm probably breaking a safety rule doing so. The mixing body is hollow and fragile; I like to clamp on the nut which holds the head to the body and I like that nut to have parallel sides (rather than knurles like my Esab, or something else)... with the body properly supported it's difficult to get the head to loosten unintentionally, so the hazard is to some degree abated.

I think you'd be happy with a "B" tank, but size the O2 larger proportional to how much cutting you plan to do. My tanks are exchange, so frankly I wind up grabbing whatever [small] size they have on the dock at the time. As I age and decend into decrepitude I am beginning to really like the idea of "smaller and lighter" at a level I did not have at an earlier age.

Harris, I'm told, made the Craftsman set I got when I was a kid. Victor, Prestolite, Esab are good names also, and Generico toots their own horn pretty well although I have no experience with them. I'm sure others will offer equipment advice based on experience and mention any brands I forgot.
If we're lucky Lawrence or others may shed advice on how to couple more than one small fuel tank for occasional heavy cutting needs, if thats the kind of thing you may want to do, and one can make a better argument for keeping back-up tanks on hand if one has ever run out of a gas, after hours, in the middle of a job, just when it was "clickin' along". They use those manifolds all the time, although I never had to.

Regards,
d
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-13-2004 05:25
In addition you may want to consider- nothing to keep you from having more than one cutting tip. You might want to cut with propane, especially the thin stuff, (also heat), propane is cheap acetylene isn't. Yet another tip to buy- propane tips are different. Acetylene is way hotter though so you will want to weld with it. The same regulator will work for both. You can cut stuff thats too thick for the tip you have (up to a point) if you weave in the cut a little. If you cut with propane I doubt you will have problems with overdraw.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help on an Oxy-Acetylene outfit