Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection Trends
- - By thcqci (***) Date 01-16-2004 16:00
Just got the winter edition of Inspection Trends and once again it is full of great articles and information. I know Kip Mankenberg, who often checks in here, is a contributor to that publication. Too bad it only comes out every 3 months and has so few pages.

I have a few other periodicals that I get regularly with the QA/QC position I hold. I am most interested in structural steel so I find the AISC's Modern Steel Construction to be very good as well as a freebee called the Fabricator (although it is more slanted towards job shops). I used to get Practical Welding Today also, but have let that one lapse. It had pretty good articles also. AWS's own Welding Journal is pretty good also but gets into the more "exotic" welding much more often than just "plain ole carbon steel" we use in structural steel construction.

What other periodicals do you find to have good information dealing with the welding industry?
Parent - By Dagwood (*) Date 01-16-2004 18:05
In Canada we have a new mag. called "The Journal". It has only been out since the summer and it is a quarterly publication. It is put out by the "Canadian Welding Association". So far it has been not a bad mag, you can download the issues on the internet at www.cwa-acs.org then just scroll down to the Canadian Welding Association Journal. You can download and print the whole thing if you want. I'm hoping that it will get a bit more technical as they grow and time goes on.

There are so many of the freebies I would love to get my hands on from the US like the ones you mentioned, but they end up costing a big dollar because they are only "freebies" in the US. The Canadian dollar being what it is...would be very hard to subscribe to them. $100.00 US = 1 bazillion CDN! :)

Anyhow, check out the "Journal" and see if you like it.

Darren.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-16-2004 18:27
Did you read the article in the Fall/2003 Issue of Inspection Trends about UT'ing moment connections? That article was very enlightening. The results from the testing they did of Level II UT techs was disappointing to them and they didn't find all of the indications that they were supposed to. Made me wonder if I could find those indications like they were supposed to or whether I would be in the "disappointing group" that didn't make the grade.
I was re-tested last January on one of those prefabricated test plates with the indications built in. I wish a person could get their hands on those types of test plates to practice finding all the indications that they have engineered into them. I know you can get them, I looked into that one other time but they are outrageously priced. You can also rent them, but it's so far out of my budget, that won't do me any good either. Anybody have any other ideas, like sharing test plates to practice with or something along those lines?
John Wright
Parent - - By Dagwood (*) Date 01-16-2004 19:25
Unfortunately, Inspection Trends is another one of the magazines I would like to receive. So I haven't seen the article that you are asking about. (If you were asking me?)
Does it automatically come to all CWI's?
I am a member of AWS so I get the Welding Journal and I have found it to be a good publication.

It's one of those things that I'm not too sure of right now. I can get the CWI through reciprosity with the CWB program, but it costs $600.00 USD. I know down the road having the CWI will be invaluable to me, but right now as a QC in a shop that works mostly for Canadian customers, I'm just not sure. I almost registered when ASNT was accepting CWI's, but from other posts in the forum, maybe it was okay that I didn't? Still not sure. My understanding is they are not taking any more CWI's at ASNT and that it was just a limited time offer. Any idea why it was "Limited time"? I would have had to pay the $600 for AWS then the $150 to ASNT.

Money, money, money! That's what it's all about! :)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-16-2004 19:56
Hi Darren,
I was asking Doug, but it doesn't matter. I'm glad you replied. I'm not for certain I can answer your question about whether the "Inspection Trends" come automatically to CWIs. I joined the AWS the same time I became a CWI, so I'm not sure if it comes because I'm a CWI or because I joined the AWS. Seeing as you are getting the Welding Journal, but not getting the Inspection Trends, I'm thinking you may be right. Money is in short supply for the most of us, so I understand how you feel with all those $$fees$$ every whichway you turn. If you are lucky enough work for a company and they are able to pick up some of the costs for $$fees$$ and $$renewals$$ and such, it doesn't hurt quite as bad. We all aren't that fortunate though.
John Wright
Parent - By brande (***) Date 01-17-2004 06:41
Inspection Trends Magazine is one of the very few perks offered to CWI's

Good Luck

brande
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-17-2004 15:06
Did anyone else notice the error in the cover photograph - winter edition?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-18-2004 01:00
I'll have to take another look when I get back to work.
John Wright
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-19-2004 03:03
[deleted]
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-19-2004 04:53
No, that's not it. Try digging a little deeper.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2004 11:42
She's nowhere near the weld.
John Wright
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 01-19-2004 13:58
Yes, John, I did read the article. Makes me wonder about my skills also. Like I said in another thread, I am pretty good at locating discontinuities. I can tell you where it is and how big, but not necessarily very good at telling you what is there. I know a few people who perform UT but only think highly of a couple. Wonder how they would do compared to group in test.

As for the cover of the magazine, I see no survey meter or dosimetry devices. Further, although I am not familiar with a colimator that looks like that, it looks to be pointed a different way than the way she is measuring.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-19-2004 15:18
Yes it does look like Molly is not lined up with the weld and no radiation detection devices are in sight. If you read the cover photo description on page 1, it explaines that she is placing film on the round seam when she is actually measuring the source to object distance. The film would have to be on the outside of the tank.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2004 15:48
I'm not all that familiar with RT, but she seemed to be a long ways from the weld around the end of the tank. (maybe, the picture is deceiving) :)
John Wright
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 01-19-2004 16:19
I could'nt figure out why they showed a picture of RT while the cover story was about LPT.

Tim
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2004 17:40
Tim,
I thought that too.
John Wright
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-19-2004 16:35
That's what I meant about not being lined up. The photographer most likely had her move the whole set-up forward so she could get on the far side. On a tank that size there is not much room between the head seam and the crown of the head.
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 01-19-2004 16:38
If she was indeed RTing the circumferential weld, it appears you are right. She is a long way away.

I think this is a completely posed picture. Further, I think the caption on page one is poorly worded. I think they were trying to say she was on the inside of the tank. Film obviously can not go on inside with source. She is setting the source-to-film distance as has been previously mentioned. If she is trying to set up to RT the longitudinal weld, again she is setting up a good foot plus off the mark. The more I look at the picture, her right hand could be just about center of a small "window" cut into side of the tank. Really hard to tell since none of us were there.

For those of you who are familiar with RT or currently perform RT, that does not exactly look like a collimator on the end of the tube. What is it? Don't recall having anything that looked like that when I performed RT a dozen years ago.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-19-2004 16:57
It looks like a Tech-Ops tube but your right the collimator looks odd. I know we used to make "turtle shells" out of 3/8" lead sheet to fit over the collimators for some extra shielding.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-06-2004 09:53
3rd Eye,
You had a comment made towards your "keenest eyes anywhere" in this quarter's Inspection Trends. Ms. Mary (editor of Inspection Trends)corrected the statement about what Molly was doing in on the cover of the Winter Issue. Great catch, by the way!

Ms. Mary,
I do like your magazine and read it cover to cover. Keep the good articles coming.
John Wright
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-06-2004 14:27
John,
It must be that third eye..... I'm glad that the editor not only acknowledged all of the comments sent to her via e-mail, but is also browsing the bulletin boards.

Mary, I like the magazine too.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2004 16:58
Do you remember "The American Welder"? Where has that mag gone to? It used to have projects in the back that could give students something to work on in class. Some of the ideas were tools that you could use in the shop at home. I have four issues from 2000 (may/june, july/august, september/october, november/december) and then they seemed to disappear.
John Wright
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 01-19-2004 17:05
Dagwood,

Here is link to Inspection Trends in case you did not get to see what we have been talking about. Been exploring the CWA.org website during lunchtime.

http://www.aws.org/itrends/

John,

I remember that also but don't think I have any back issues laying around anymore. Don't know when or why magazine ended.
Parent - By Dagwood (*) Date 01-19-2004 20:18
Thanks for the link, I will check it out shortly.

The CWA is a fairly new association so it isn't as polished as the AWS website, but they are definitely trying! I will probably try to get involved with it here on the west coast with all the spare time I have! :)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-06-2004 10:28
To All,
"The American Welder" has been incorporated into the back of the Welding Journal. I guess I should have been reading further into that magazine and my question would have been answered.
John Wright
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-22-2004 18:16
I just received my copy of TNT. TNT stands for "The NDT Technician" It's the quarterly publication from ASNT and I noticed that it is free for non-members in 2004. the link to subscribe is:

http://www.asnt.org/publications/tnt/tnt.htm

I had forgotten about TNT when I read your original post. It is not quite as in depth as Materials Evaluation and has had some useful feature articles in the past.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-22-2004 18:29
Thanks 3rd I,
I just registered with them to start receiving that publication.
John Wright (2nd I only, would like a 3rd I someday)
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-06-2004 17:01
Here is another freebie to add to the list. It is Welding Design & Fabrication. The December '03 issue is the "2004 Handbook" and has some good basic information on welding equipment/consumables, thermal & mechananical cutting, automation, holemaking, bending and forming, grinding, material handling, testing and inspection and safety/environment. Maybe they still have some on the shelf. The link to subscribe is:

http://www.submag.com/sub/wx?pk=ENGR

I could not find an online link to these articles. If anyone can find one, please post it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection Trends