Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Engine block
- - By rjt70 (*) Date 01-16-2004 20:29
I found a rare engine block for dirt cheap because it has what the seller calls extensive freeze damage in the lifter valley area to the water jackets. It would save me over $2000.00 dollars if it is repairable. Do any of you have experience and advice on taking on a task like this? Which process would be best used and what filler metal is best?

Thanks in advance!
Bob
Parent - By dee (***) Date 01-17-2004 01:51
Bob,
I'm not sure if anybody reads our new automotive sections listed at the bottom of the forum page (you must scroll down to find it) but you might pop the question down there to see if it gets better response.

I've never tackled such a job, but as I recall my references suggest a bronze filler- they say to braze it. If nobody points you toward it there have been a couple of links posted to a military training circular on welding that would cover such repair. It's a challenge to manage the effects of heat on such a complicated casting and you will need facility to do so. I certainly wouldnt want to use a rare block with extensive damage as beginner practice.

If you are patient and do check back or renew the post from time to time you will get a response from someone with the experience you need.

Searches back to two years (if you can get back that far) in the archives of "technical" or "shop talk" should turn up at least one similar question, as well as that training circular.

Good luck
d
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-17-2004 06:34
As long as the damage only involves a single passage and "outside" (say water), where "outside" is anything you can see, you've got a pretty good chance. Keep in mind that without seeing it this is just a guess. If it involves more (say "outside" and water and an oil passage) difficulty goes way up. As Dee suggests brazing is one approach, probably best done in a furnace. Some would weld using nickel alloy rods (so called machinable). There are people who make a business of this. I would suggest that you not practice on rare iron since this can go horribly badly. I have no name to suggest but construction equipment and heavy truck engine repairers (think Caterpillar) will probably be able to suggest someone. They have the same problem, horribly expensive cracked cast iron parts. Expect at least align boring after repair if not included in the repair. Good luck. Just curious- what is it.
Bill
Parent - By rjt70 (*) Date 01-17-2004 07:37
Its a 1966 426 hemi block. I can get a new one for around $2500, but with an engine that will cost me over $10k to build the way I want it, this would save me a couple thousand. I forgot to add in the original post that the cracks are extensive, but invisible to the naked eye. They can only be viewed under Magnaflux, and are only in the lifter valley. Of course, water getting into my oil would be more than catastrophic in an engine that costs this much so I'll keep all of my digits crossed! Thanks for the replies!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Engine block