Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help
- - By bingo1 Date 01-23-2004 01:01
I am not familiar with metal AT ALL! I am hoping somebody here will be so kind as to clue me in. I am a designer and I want to find somebody who can make metal napking rings for me. (something that is brushed silver, antique bronze, and a brownish metal)...I need them to be rust proof. So, that being said, what type of manufacturer am I looking for? Stampings? AHHH

Thanks so so much
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 01-23-2004 01:47
how many?
Parent - - By bingo1 Date 01-23-2004 02:14
Sorry, I should have stated this.... good question.....

I am looking for somebody who can make napkin rings, however, I say that only because it is the type of item I need, they wont necessarily be that small of an item, I may expand and make larger things like plate racks.....etc.

I want prototypes made then I will start with 4 or 5 designs and 100 of each initially. Then once (if) my business starts selling them to retail stores I will increase to meet the demands of the retailers.

I have emailed a manufacturer in India, I just would like to keep the business in the USA if I can find similar pricing.

Marci
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-27-2004 18:30
Marci; just an opinion. India is the worlds leading brass exporter but you do NOT want brass. Bronze would be ideal, but is very expensive....if you're not too concerned over cost go with bronze. Silver would be a nice second option and there are various techniques to get that "aged" look. Good luck!
Parent - By gangel99 (*) Date 01-28-2004 03:22
You also have to think about the manufacturing process. For example, a dish rack almost has to be stainless steel to avoid rusting. Practically this limits you to using small diameter rods, bending them, and spot welding. These parameters affect your design. (BTW I saw a beautiful modern fruit bowl made from a single stainless rod bent into a continuous spiral to form the base and the bowl).

On the other hand napkin rings are made from flat sheet that is rolled into a cylinder or folded into a rectangle. Depending on your design (closed or open) they could be welded, silver soldered, or brazed together. You would probably cut, etch, or stamp a design in the flat stock before it is rolled. And why do napkin rings have to be rust proof? I have a collection of sterling silver napkin rings and they tarnish unless you polish them regularly or lacquer them. A good lacquer finish would let you use brass, copper, or mild steel as well as stainless.

Finally this is a welding forum so you will get replies from welders. But many objects, including napkin rings, can be cast. This is a relatively expensive process but gives tremendous freedom in the design. If you are selling high end objects then the cost of casting would not be a problem.

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help