Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / White Welding
- - By - Date 09-05-2000 17:43
Hello,

Durring a job interview last week, I was asked if I knew what the term "White Welding" was. I have never heard of this process before and would like to learn about it. The interviewer knew nothing of it other than what it was called. Could this just be a slang term for another process?
Please educate me regaurding this term. Or direct me to where I may learn about its origin.

Thank you for the help.

Thom
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-18-2000 19:54
White Welding

He might have been refering to repair welding of White Cast Irons, White cast Irons are treated for high hardness and wear resistance. TWI is one source for online information regarding Cast Iron weldability and behavior.

Have a peek at twi.co.uk/ Its a great site for lots reasons
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-27-2000 15:37
I'm sorry for having to correct Mr. Lawrence's information.
White welding is a special process of brazing in which the filler metal has a melting point lower than 400 ºCentigrades (you convert to Farenheit). The name "white" derives from the fact that the fillers used are alloys of so called "white" metals: lead and tin, with small percentages of antimony and silver.
The joint preparation is the same as in normal brazing. The cleanliness of the surfaces in contact and the uniformness of the clearance between the parts to be joined are essential for the quality of the weld.
White welding is used to join steel, copper and copper alloys and aluminum and aluminum alloys.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-27-2000 18:13 Edited 10-05-2007 22:23
Brazing --A group of welding processes that produces coalescence of materials by heating them to the brazing temperature in the presence of a filler metal having a lquidus above 450 degrees Centagrade (840 F. I'll do the math) and below the solidus of the base metal.

Soldering--- A group of welding processes that produces coalescence of materials by heating them to the soldering temperature and by using a filler metal having a liquidus not exceeding 450 degrees Centigrade (840 F) and below the solidus of the base metals.

A myriad of nonstandard terms exist to describe the above processes. Sweating, Soft soldering and bronze welding are but a few.  It is a shame that Job interviewers attempt to hold applicants responsible for inaccurate and non-standard terms or procedures that they themselves do not understand nor can they explain, or even worse, that somebody's employment might hinge upon.

In treatment of the Non Standard term "White Welding" specifically.   My library does not hold a single indexed passage or article in reference to it.  This is why I offered the suggestion and even a respected resourse so that he might be able to research  the commonly used designation --white cast Iron.  And since the Inquisitor himself did not know the answer to the question he was asking, perhaps we will never know what the original author of the interview questions sought.

But its fun learning the terms people invent for established processes, The AWS publishes its terms and definitions, However there is a whole big world out there as Mr. Giovanni so persuasively demonstrates. And ya never know, someday those new terms might just come in handy or become the accepted norm.  In the mean time it is vital to attend to the questions of students and to try to direct them to responcible and respectable institutions and sources of information, codes, specifications or processes.  The days are gone in this trade when word of mouth or shop tradition are sufficient.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-28-2000 18:43
"Welding", in Portuguese (the language spoken in Brazil), is "Soldagem" ("Soldadura" in Spanish, "Soudure" in French).
"Brazing", on the other hand, is "Brasagem" in Portuguese.
There's no specific term for "Soldering". It's evident its similarity with "Soldagem". So, in Portuguese, Soldering is called "Soldagem branca", i.e., "White welding". The word "White" comes from the fact that the fillers used are alloys of the so called "White metals": lead, tin, antimony and small amounts of silver.
We must admit therefore that the so called "White welding" asked in the job interview is nothing else than Soldering. Besides, the description I gave matches exactly with the one given by Mr. Bower.
Why whoever wrote the question put down "White welding" instead of "Soldering" I don't know. Perhaps he (or she) is Hispanic.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By - Date 09-30-2000 03:46
This could refer to "White Metal Welding" which would mean the welding of "White Metals" such as zinc, aluminum, and magnesium. See Page 603 of the Welding Encyclopedia 18th Edition.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / White Welding