Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Contest at '04 Welding Show
- - By amyjtn Date 01-28-2004 16:08
Win $2,500.00 and an auto-darkening, "Titans with Attitude" welding helmet courtesy of Sellstrom Manufacturing Company, while proving you're the best welder.

Register to compete at http://www.weldingcontest.com/

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-31-2004 04:36
No offense but, this contest does'nt prove to me and I dare say to alot of other welders that whoever wins it - is the best welder in the USA!!!
I believe that a more sophisticated contest would have to be devised to legitimately crown someone that title... I cannot resist but, maybe requiring the use of a mirror or two and some restrictions to the joints (more than one joint configuration) that include all positions (combining pipe or tubing with plate and maybe even sheetmetal) will spice things up a bit and using more than one process if you get my meaning... Oh yeah - I almost forgot more than one type of metal...
Just my two cents worth!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By texarc (*) Date 01-31-2004 16:43
ssbn727,

I half to disagree with you, keep in mind that the cordnaters of this event have to put 200 welders threw the welds of this contest in two days. Which dosent give time for more complicated conection. And I have to say that there are plenty of things that can go wrong with a (simple) weld like this. Have a hickup in a tie in, or over/under fill of that 3/8" at all and thats it. I think the mind set every one should take with this contest, is that the winner will be the person that is abble to make that weld as perfict as posible (at that time). The winner of this contest wont be a perfect, if you want that get a robbot. Which leads me to another point I like the fact that it will be just the welder, the machine, and the material. It will be welding done the way its has been for many years. To end I think this contest is put together well enough to show true welding skill.

I also want to add I dont clame to be a master myself, I can blow a root pass with the best of them.

Humbly,
Texarc
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-01-2004 11:04
Hi Texarc!
I respect your opinion also! Maybe I should elaborate further...
I was merely pointing out that this contest, in my opinion does'nt convince me that the winner should be recognized as the best welder "period." Granted you made some good points regarding how even with the simplicity of the test itself - many things can go wrong and that because of the amount of participation and the number of participants in itself prohibits a more sophisticated testing regimen...
I do not protest this contest, I just disagree with the claim from the "coordinators" that the winner they claim will be recognized as the "Best Welder". I certainly do not claim to be among the best but being in the business for over thirty years; I believe very strongly that this contest in my humble opinion, does'nt raise the winner to the title of "Best Welder" in the AWS show based on this competition as the person from the AWS suggests the winner shall be recognized as such...
As far as robots are concerned, they're not "perfect" always either...
As I understand it the position will be 2G, am I correct? Will the joint configuration include backing or will it be an open root type configuration? Well then, why not conduct it in the 3G and/or 4G position just like in the AWS D1.1 qualification test or better yet - a 2" 6G or 6GR? Then again, I noticed that only Sellstrom (having more sponsors involved would've certainly increased the operating funds available) is involved in this competition so, maybe that's why the contest will be in this format... I'm curious as to the choice of welding power source, brand of electrodes, etc., this contest is going to use?
Now, I understand that this will cost more to conduct with so many welders but if you want to show "true" welding skills in only one process, then at least include more than one position for the contest! VICA skills USA has been conducting contests for years whereby the winner must be able to show that they exhibit their skills in at least more than just one position... Maybe I misread the original post but in the post, the person did state: "While proving you're the best welder."
Maybe this person should've wrote: "upon proving you're the winner of this contest." This would've been more appropriate in my "humble" opinion. You and others may think different and I respect that!!!
Once again this discussion proves to me that we as participants in this wonderful forum can agree to disagree from time to time and I believe that this is "healthy"!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By insp76 (**) Date 02-02-2004 07:38
ssbn727, I can see where your coming from, at least they could put the plate in a vertcal position, I mean come on........Have a good one!
Parent - By chapple (*) Date 02-03-2004 19:52
Please bear in mind that this is the first year for this contest, to be held
on the years we are not running the skills usa/ vica contest. We put
together a welders contest that could accomodate 200 welders in 2 days
time with limited funding and contributions. This year being the contests first year I think it will be a very good event. Sure we will be
able to expand it and make it more challenging as we receive suggestions, sponsorships, donations etc. in the future. I don't think
there will ever be a contest that will address every pro. welders
details. There would have to be pipe and mirrors, sheet metal,
structural steel, coated steels etc in all positions, to satisfy all codes
with all currently used process, don't forget Resistance welding
for the automotive and aerospace group.
I hope to see everyone at the show, and at the contest.

Good Luck
Scott
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Contest at '04 Welding Show