Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / null
- - By partialwrtx (*) Date 01-29-2004 09:31
[deleted]
Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 01-29-2004 13:58
I am going to throw my 2 cents worth into this thread....obviously, this is just my opinion, but i think that is what you are looking for....the 180 is a great machine. it will handle aluminum, stainless, mild, chrome moly, etc... the limit to this machine is the thickness of aluminum (or even steel for that matter) that you can effectively glue together. the 200 DX is a fabulous machine. I have used this machine a number of times on aluminum building oil tanks, on chrome moly building frames and engine mounts, etc... the ability to adjust the frequency and wave balance on this machine make it the cadillac (or mercedes, or bmw, or whatever your preference) of all the small inverter tig welders for aluminum. I have used the Lincoln 205 and it pales in comparison to the miller. by far, and this is just my opinion of course, the 200 DX is the machine that everyone that wants to weld should own. The difference in price is fairly minimal when you look at what this machine will do.
have fun.
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 01-29-2004 17:01
I use a Lincoln 205 and my machine also has adjustable frequency and wave balance with a similar output and duty cycle, so while I respect that you are giving your opinion, I am curious as to the features or benefits that make a Miller so superior?
Parent - - By partialwrtx (*) Date 01-29-2004 20:42
[deleted]
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-29-2004 21:08

Partial,

Is Dad a tech head? If he leans toward the geek than the more expensive Dynasty might be a real plumb. It has the whistles and bells.

If he is an old fashioned craftsman than the Synchrowave 250 will be the best bet. The Syn 180 may struggle with aluminum over 1/4 inch.

Dynasty 200 has variable frequency which adds a tiny punch to thicker Aluminum sections (20 hz.) but still will rate below the 250 in overall power delivary.

Power Draw. If Dads power supply is limited the Dynasty has an advantage of drawing less to produce what it does. If power is no Issue the Syn 250 is by far the more reliable of any of the machines you have mentioned.

Is the machine going in one place permanatly or might it be moved about? If mobility is a factor Dynasty gets the points there.

Oh decisions decisions.
Parent - - By partialwrtx (*) Date 01-29-2004 21:55
[deleted]
Parent - By OSUtigger (**) Date 01-29-2004 23:56
Heres another coupla cents-

When your father wants to stick weld anything, 150 amps should do most of it with ease. Greater amperages are needed to tig weld aluminum, I've used up to 175 amps on some large 1/4 in pieces, which is why you should be worried about the maximum output and duty cycles at higher amps.

As for your input power, 120 V and 240 volt are both single phase(the wires have nothing to do with how many phases there are). Three phase means three differently oscillating sine waves, so chances are the house isn't wired for 3-phase. To see if it can be, talk to the utility provider- I, however, believe 240 V will be just fine.

Hope that helps!

G. L.
Parent - By aircraft (**) Date 01-30-2004 02:04
220/240 is single phase. there is no such thing as two phase.
Parent - - By sdcwi (*) Date 02-01-2004 18:42
Here is my two cents; if Dad is going to be welding in the basement you need to think about fume extraction/fresh air supply. It's just one more thing to drive up the cost of your generosity, but it is very important. There are many short and long term health issues associated with breathing welding fumes, make sure Dad is protected.
Parent - By Arcandflash (**) Date 02-01-2004 21:40
Probably the most important comment in the thread!
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 01-29-2004 22:06
If the machine can run 1/8" rod and has a reasonable duty cycle, you can weld virtually any thickness. My father-in-law was an ironworker welding oil platforms together in Cook Inlet using 1/8" rod (2" thick metal! Lots of passes.) The limiting factor will be aluminum TIG.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / null