Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification Test - SAW Method
- - By tncwi (*) Date 01-29-2004 14:06
I have a customer that wants his welders certified in SAW. Would I use the same test plate dimensions in AWS D1.1 2002 Fig. 4.21. What variables should i be considering when conducting this test?

Any comments would be of great help.

Thanks
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 01-29-2004 15:26
Is this a hand held SAW or machine. If you already have a wps then you should use the test plate in figure 4.22 of D1.1. Keep in mind all the essential variables for this process.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-29-2004 17:19
You could use fig 4.21 for semi-automatic (hand-held) SAW but I would make the plates longer than the 5" minimum.
For automatic (machine) SAW use fig. 4.22. Again, I would make the plates longer than the 15" minimum.

Your parameters should be in accordance with your WPS. However, SAW is a prequalified process, so for your WPS you can choose whatever parameters work best for the testing, as long as you are within manufacturer's recommendations. I would make up extra test plates and have your welders give them a go. If you have difficulties, make some adjustments, and make sure your WPS covers the new parameters. Then weld out your test plates.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-29-2004 17:34
Join 2 ea. 6"x12" plates along the 12" side. Coupon will be 12" square when welded.
Parent - By tncwi (*) Date 01-29-2004 19:24
Thanks for the quick response. As always you have been of great help.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification Test - SAW Method