Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Chicago Electric Mig welder questions
- - By richwolf Date 01-31-2004 18:28
Hi All!

I bought a Chicago Electric dual Mig welder. I plan on mostly using flux core wire. I finally hooked it up to 220 but I cannot get the wire to feed properly. I checked the manual and no info as to troubleshooting or even how to wire feed or use the dang thing!!!
Can anyone help me??
I called Harbor Freight and they were no help.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Parent - By dee (***) Date 01-31-2004 19:41
Precisely what is improper about the feed? Can you be specific when you describe the symptoms please, the more info the better including wire size and type, etc.
Parent - - By richwolf Date 01-31-2004 22:01
It will not come out the nozzle end. Do I need to dismantle?? It was threaded properly when I got it. My brother tried to put in a different guage wire but the wire spool did not have the right adaptor (I have fixed that). We tried to refeed the original spool that it came with. Hopefully this helps. Basically I need the instructions on how to feed the wire throught the hose.

thanks!!!
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-31-2004 23:56
Starting with the obvious- take out the contact tip, will it feed now? If yes- check size of contact tip if ok, thread it over the wire screw it on and off you go. The wire often hits the back of the contact tip when you try to load new wire, sometimes it hits the back of the diffuser also so check there too. If only a couple of inches or less of wire fed after the feed rolls took hold then the wire probably didn't enter the liner. Usually you can remove the feed tube from the machine, feed out a little wire, start it into the liner by hand, and then reattach the tube with the wire inside it.
Bill
Parent - - By richwolf Date 02-01-2004 16:14
Bill, I played around with it and it was the tip that stalled the wire feed. Got it going now!
I am using a flux core wire and tried it out last night. My technique pretty much sucks but I did get a few things to stick together.
Any suggestions as to books or web sites that will go through the MIG welding process??

Thank you!
Parent - By sdcwi (*) Date 02-01-2004 17:42
A great book for a beginer is Flux Cored Arc Welding Handbook by Willam H. Minnick. It takes you step by step through safety, set-up, materials, joints, and techniques. Included are general welding procedures and procedures for truck-trailer-off road vehicles, also a section for autobody. I paid $24 for mine about five years ago. You could try a technical bookstore or you might have to order one. The ISBN number is 1-56637-482-0. Minnick also has books for Mig, Tig, and Stick, but some of the material is repeated (weld joints and types, defects, terms and definitions, symbols etc.), but they all have valuable information. I encourage you to read any welding book you can get your hands on. Keep trying and don't get discouraged! We all sucked when we started, some of us just had more help. P.S.-Oops, I just realized I described the contents of the Mig book, the Flux Core book is similar but doesn't go into vehicles or auto body. It does cover carbon and low-alloy steel, Cr-Ni stainless, cast iron and surfacing/hardfacing. Good Luck!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Chicago Electric Mig welder questions