Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I don't know if this is the right place
- - By mikejf Date 02-01-2004 00:27
I am new to welding and my boss thought it would be good practice to build him a monkey cage for one of his monkies, so I have spent the better part of the past 2 days MIG welding without gloves or long sleeves. Needless to say I discovered what flash burn is. I woke up this morning and the first thing I noticed was the smell of burning skin and I put my arm up close to my nose and it was my arm that smelled like that. Is there anything I should be worried about health wise? Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 02-01-2004 00:57
Soiunds like you learned the hard way about the need to protect yourself from the UV rays from welding. Treat the burns the same as you would a severe sunburn and get yourself some gloves and a good welding jacket, welding sleeves or at least a heavy cotton long-sleeved work shirt, such as denim.
Parent - - By mikejf Date 02-01-2004 01:38
Thanks for the advice. Also, would flannel make a good welding shirt? I have a couple of those I use for work on occasion but would it be at risk to catch on fire? Thanks again.
Parent - By texarc (*) Date 02-01-2004 01:59
mikejf

I can simpathise, I have to recomend welding leathers I have had many small jobs with a mig that I thaugh would not burn me and then there was that smell. I have a permanet j branded on my arm due to a overhead repair with a mig welder on some lockers at one of my high schools.A small peice of red hot welding wire fell on my arm. Bottom line is leather is the best protector, and as for the burns I agre treet them as a bad sun burn.
Parent - - By sdcwi (*) Date 02-01-2004 18:32
Don't wear flannel, Especially a NEW flannel shirt, the fuzz on it will easily catch fire. Leather is best, then wool. Here in So. Cal. these are usually to hot for mig, most guy wear the green treated cloth shirts or capes you can buy at the welding supply store, or a good denim(Levi's) shirt. If you are a smoker, don't keep your matches/lighter in the pocket, I have seen some severe burns from this. Be careful and keep asking questions.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 02-02-2004 12:44
sdcwi is right about the new flannel. When the fuzz lights, it creates an almost instantaneous flash that will travel across the shirt. I learned that the hard way years ago while putting a log on my fireplace. Scared the ---- out of me!
Everyone is giving good advice. I just want to point out that you do not want to wear any polyester, nylon or polyester/cotton blends while welding. They burn/melt readily and stick to your skin in the process.
Wear only cotton, wool or leather.

Be safe,
Tim
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-02-2004 12:24
mikejf,
Lots of good advice given already, I'll add to watch the area around your coller. Many of us are aware that the leathers and PPE for welding help keep from the dreaded flash burn, but that last button at your coller is important. I've had days I went home with a red triangle just under my chin, because I thought it was too hot to button that last little button.
just a thought,
John Wright
Parent - - By Mike W (**) Date 02-03-2004 03:02
I like that little leather piece that attaches to the bottom of the helmet to protect your neck. Also beware of mig splatter dropping into your boots, don't ask how I know.
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 02-03-2004 12:09
Also remember that it's just like severe sunburn. It can possibly cause skin cancer down the road. Not a "for sure thing", but a good reason to avoid it.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-03-2004 14:20
Mike,
I don't need to ask how you know. Been there. When it happens you don't know if you should cut the boot laces off or find a bottle of any kind of liquid to pour down inside. Neither one is quick enough when it happens. For those who have not had the pleasure yet, that's why many welders wear cowboy boots and put the pant legs over the outside.
Chet Guilford
Parent - By Slagindaboot (*) Date 02-06-2004 10:10
And I thought I was the only one.
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 02-06-2004 19:33
Hi, someday you may wonder why welders wear welding cap, even sideways!
They have a bill to protect your ears as well as the back of yor neck.
Roll the bill over the ear that may be up if you are reaching in tight spots.
A spark in the ear makes you temporarily and totally senseless.
Luck
Parent - By arcblue (*) Date 02-06-2004 20:52
OK, look I have got to ask….Monkey cage?.
Now where exactly does one find monkeys to place in said cage?
What special materials are used in an “ approved for monkey “ environment?
How big is the cage? More importantly how big are the monkies?
I have had several monkies work for me in the past but I didn’t think of cages for them.
Any way do not let my wife hear about this , she might get some ideas on putting me in one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I don't know if this is the right place