Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Anyone hear about "T" rays used in NDE?
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-01-2004 15:40
I recently viewed a television program that gave a brief discription about a potential new method of NDE by applying the use of "T" rays otherwise known as Terahertz rays... Anyone know about this new method of evaluation?

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-01-2004 16:25
T-ray technology came out of Bell Laboratories in the mid 90's. My understanding is that it is an imaging system that uses optics and electronics to create a digital photograph that shows the composition of objects. I thought it was for use in medical applications in the beginning. But many NDT techniques have come about from medical research since there is so much money available for research.
Maybe this technology can be used for some material sorting or identification? These rays must not be dangerous like X and gamma rays but might not have the penetration of radiation or ultrasonic waves. Does terahertz mean "a trillion cycles per second"?

Parent - By dasimonds (**) Date 02-01-2004 23:34
That's exactly what terahertz means. Tera = trillion.

Dale Simonds
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Anyone hear about "T" rays used in NDE?