Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welding on a Gas Tank
- - By Mathius (**) Date 02-04-2004 06:47
On all the filler necks I've seen on gas tanks, the necks are always soldered on. Can someone tell me why that is?

I even read a tech article in one of my Truck'in magazines, where they drained and flushed a gas tank, drilled two large holes in it and sandblasted it all out, before coating the inside with a gas tank liner and welding the holes shut, and then even after they did all that and used a penlight to check everything before welding up the two holes, they soldered the neck on.

Is there some reason why the neck shouldn't be welded on? Is it fear of obstructing the inside of the neck if the penetration becomes too deep?

Mathius
Parent - By RMayerich Date 02-17-2004 19:49
The reason is for speed. Takes a lot more to weld it up than to solder it. When I build a tank, I weld them on.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-17-2004 21:53
Gasoline tanks go thru a process called terne in which they are coated with a lead alloy much like solder.

The whole tank is coated making it necessary to solder any connections.
Parent - By Engloid (*) Date 10-10-2004 07:52
Sandblasting can be a bad idea, as the friction of blasting often creates sparks... and I'm sure you know what can result.

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welding on a Gas Tank