Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welding Code & DOT
- - By TimGary (****) Date 02-04-2004 13:50
Does anyone know if the DOT specifies a specific code to govern the design and fabrication of trailers?
To be more specific, Goose Neck type trailer connections.

Thanks,
Tim
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-04-2004 16:22
Hi Tim,
Here in Virginia you can build a "homemade" trailer and go by the DMV and get a temp registration (states "homemade" on it for the mfg) for it and they will send a State Trooper out to look at it. He signs off on the trailer and then the registration becomes permanent. You can get a permanent tag or one that renews each year. I built a few of these "homemade" trailers and to my knowledge no one ever specified a code of any kind. Your state may be different and it might not be a bad idea to check with DMV about the code in your particular state/county. I feel like there should be some sort of formal Inspection to a code done on these because they get abused with overloading and such. I've seen the tongues come off several house trailers going down the highway. I don't like the thought of meeting one of those on my side of the road.
John Wright
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-04-2004 18:54
Hi John,
Thanks for the input.
As usual, I guess I need to be more specific.
An AWS Collegue raised the following question at last night's meeting,
" I have a new customer, which is a commercial manufacturer of goose neck trailer connections. They are trying to get with the program and want me to certify their welders. They have never tried to certify before, do not have formal welding procedures, and their Engineer, if they have one, has not specified a design code. Which would be the most appropriate code to use?"
He already has a copy of the AWS code for welding of earthmoving equipment, (I forgot the ID #) and was wondering if he should use that, or just go with D1.1, or if there was a specifc code that he should use.
I suggested that he find out if DOT specifies a code and am trying to help with that.
I guess I should go to the Global Engineering site and research their avaiable documents, I just hate dealing with those folks.
Is anybody out there familiar with this stuff?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-04-2004 19:48
Hi again Tim,
I called DOT here in town and I spoke with someone who says the guy that handles all of that just retired and they haven't replaced him yet. I have his boss' number and will call again to talk to him, hopefully he can tell me what the required codes are to work to.

I called a couple of places that sell gooseneck trailers here in town and none of them knew what codes the mfg had to work to.

If you still haven't found an answer by the end of this week, I should be able to tell you if I have hit a dead end or not.
John Wright
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-04-2004 19:53
Thanks John,
I appreciate your help.
Tim
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2004 01:12
Hi Tim,
I was wondering if you found out the proper code to qualify/certify those welders to, that are fabricating gooseneck trailers for your freind? I still haven't gotten in touch with the guy here that is in charge of the VDOT code work. Every time I call his office, I find that he is out on the road for one reason or another, but I'm still trying.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2004 13:52
Hi Tim,
Just received a call from the guy at VDOT here in town, he apologizes for taking a couple of days to get back with me. He says they go by D1.1, D1.3 depending on thicknesses of materials used. And they use D1.2 for aluminum trailers. We talked for a few minutes and agreed that AWS should come up with a DOT code specific to cover over the road equipment/trailers. He says to apply the codes the as needed. He even mentioned using D1.5 for certain things (didn't say what for, just said it didn't apply to building gooseneck trailers).
Hope this gives some direction,
John Wright
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-24-2004 14:26
That seems to make sense John. But you never know about the gov't and and all the silly things they require.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 02-24-2004 14:28
Thanks again John,

I'll pass the info on.

Tim
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-04-2004 19:53
I also looked on the National Highway and Safety Transportation Board but could not find anything specific.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-04-2004 20:07
Try http://www.natm.com and look under the links section.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-04-2004 20:46
Lots of info there Brian,
I'll have to mark that one in my favorites and take a look when I can take time to browse all of those links.
Thanks,
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welding Code & DOT