Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Exothermic PWHT
- - By AlexBowman Date 02-06-2004 02:39
Is there any general use of this method of PWHT, who has experience of its benefits and pitfalls, who would recommend it?
Parent - By Bill A (**) Date 02-06-2004 16:07
I had very limited experience with an exothermic device that was used to PWHT welds on well casing attachments to casingheads. That was over 10 years ago. Destructive metallurgical evaluation of samples of the treated welds showed acceptable hardness had been obtained. Sorry, but I don't recall details of casing size and thickness, but the casinghead is typically fairly thick wall and the casing and casing head were both fairly high carbon equivalent, so effective preheat and PWHT was important. I believe that the company that made the devices at that time was "RedHead" or RedHed. Not sure if they are still around since I no longer get involved in those types of welds.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-08-2004 14:27
Exothermic PWHT enjoyed a certain popularity back in the '60ties and '70ties especially in the petroleum and petrochemical industry, because it was a fast method to carry out the treatment that required no electric power supply and no external temperature control, and because the ANSI (now ASME) B31.3 Code allowed its use.
One manufacturer was:
Exomet Inc.
P.O. Box 647
Conneaut, OH 44030
Phone (216) 593-1161
For a number of reasons, however, it lost its popularity and I doubt that it is still used.
The mortal enemies of exothermic PWHT were the manufacturers of PWHT electric equipment, Cooperheat among them. I've got an 8 pages publication titled "Cooperheat has a look at an exothermic kit, tries one and makes a mess of it". If you let me know your postal address, I can send you a xerox copy of it.
Giovanni S. Crisi
São Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By AlexBowman Date 02-09-2004 04:02
fax 61733193301 or mail
Alex Bowman
80 Albert St
Brisbane
Queensland 4000
Australia

Thanks for the reply and the offer Giovanni, if you want to scan and email abowmana@optusnet.com.au if you use this method pls make sure the message header tells me what it is...anything like Hi here's what I said I would send does not get opened in fear of virus attack

thanks again...Alex
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-10-2004 22:10
Alex,
I prefer to send you a xerox copy of the article instead of scanning it. There are several photos and graphs and they get difficult to read when scanned.
It'll take 10 -12 days for the letter to reach the other side of the world, so be patient. Advise me when you've received it.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-11-2004 20:58
Alex,
to day, February 11, I've mailed you the promised Cooperheat publication. Please advise me when you've received it.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By AlexBowman Date 02-12-2004 04:13
ok Giovanni, thanks will let you know

Alex
Parent - - By AlexBowman Date 03-26-2004 02:27
just keeping you up to date that I have not yet received the stuf you kindly sent..Alex
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-26-2004 19:42
Sorry, I'll mail you another copy. Before, please confirm that the address you've indicated on a earlier post is right.
Giovanni
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Exothermic PWHT