Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding sequence to avoid deformation
- - By zburquez Date 02-10-2004 19:08
We are having some problems with our frames. The frame gets other shape after the welding process, i want to know if the sequence of welding can help me.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-10-2004 19:17
Joaquin, can you define a little bit more what it is your welding? i.e., stainless steel, carbon steel, etc., material shapes, welding process, thickness, etc? Sequencing can definately help but we have to know some more information before we can give you any suggestions. :)
Parent - By Bill A (**) Date 02-10-2004 19:29
This can be a very complex subject, but the short answer is "yes". Distortion is influenced by preheat, joint restraint, heat input (bead size), prestraining or prepositioning of pieces to accomodate weld shrinkage, weld groove design (vee versus "U", single side versus double sided, etc.) welding sequence (backstepping, skip welding etc.), peening etc. The AWS Welding Handbook has a lot of information on distortion, residual stress, as does the ASM Metal Handbook volume on welding.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-10-2004 20:12
There is a book titled "Flame Straightening Technology for Welders" by John P.Stewart. This book gives a little insight into the how's, what's where's and when of straightening and control of distortion.
ISBN 0-9692845-1-9

Hope this helps,
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding sequence to avoid deformation