Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIL-STD 248 E71T1
- - By TRC (***) Date 02-10-2004 23:16
Can anyone tell me where I can buy E71T1 (250-500lbs) manfactured to
MIL-E-24403/1D.
My local distributor got a quote from ESAB. The price per pound didn't look that high but they want $708.90 to test the wire, that's per diameter (.045,& .062).
I know that may sound reasonable to you guys who are putting out tons a week but in my company it's me, myself and I. 500 pounds of electrode would last me a very long time at the rate that I'm going now.
I'm trying to build a customer base of military work but I keep hitting walls because this issue of electrode and proceedure qualification. I know the PQ is a must for class A&B and but can someone explain why the electrode has to be tested? Reading 248 I found very few electrodes that had to be mechanically tested.
Thanks for listening- Please advise- Ted
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-11-2004 00:25

Have you tried the SeaBees?

They Build, they fight!"

Here is the U.S. Naval Construction Force home page
http://www.seabee.navy.mil/

It may take a little work to contact the right person. But I bet they have everything you might want or need to know.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 02-11-2004 03:20
If you are looking for small quantities, try Weldstar in Chicago. I believe they have a website at: http://www.weldstar.com/

Phone number is 630-859-3100, ask for Bob Decker. We deal with them on nuclear filler metals. They may have some material in stock that meets mil spec requirements also.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-11-2004 03:25
We get our Military E71T-1 type electrodes from Tri-Mark. I would think Lincoln makes it too. Also try these guys
http://www.induscocorp.com
They are right by Newport News Shipbuilding and cary a lot of military stuff.
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 02-11-2004 13:12
Is the Certificate of Compliance (CofC) from the manufacturer not good enough to satisfy your client? The manufacturer of the wire should be able to supply that for each wire manufacturered.
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 02-11-2004 18:07
No, MIL-spec rods are entirely different than either AWS or nuclear. It's all the same stuff in the can or box, but the MIL-spec has very specific testing requirements that must be performed on each lot of material. For these cored wire, that may also include diffusible hydrogen testing.

Indusco (distributor) is a good idea, as are Tri-Mark, Lincoln and perhaps Select-Arc (mfgs).

HTH
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 02-12-2004 00:13
THANK YOU ALL!!!!
I found it at Indusco. Joey has a few 10lb spools of .045&.062. The 33's are back ordered. He had plenty E71T1 to AWS.
I have bought electrode from them in the past but just had a brain fart and didn't think of them. Actually after looking around the web it seems this (71T1) isn't as had to come by as some of the other electrode that I've tried to get i.e., RN60, 316L, Ferralium 255.
I've made notes of all the mentioned suppliers for the future.

Again Thanks-Ted
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIL-STD 248 E71T1