Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Calculating FCAW Deposition Rates
- - By M-Squared (**) Date 02-13-2004 16:46
I am looking for a calculation to determine the deposition rate for FCAW. Back on Jan 5 2004 Marty Sims gave me a calculation for SAW (Twin – wire) and is shown below (for one wire)

deposition rate = [wire feed speed1 x 60 x (wire diameter1 x wire diameter1)/4 x pi x density of wire1] x [Process Efficiency]

deposition rate in lb/hr
wire speed in in/min
wire diameter in inches
pi = 3.14159
ñ = density of wire in lbs/cubic inch
(steel = 0.284 lb/cubic inch)
E = Process Efficiency

This works well for SAW and GMAW welding but since FCAW is not a solid wire, will this equation work, is it close enough. If not, does anyone have a calculation or know where I can find one for FCAW.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-13-2004 17:40
I have used the formulae and data from the wire manufacturers' and found they get pretty close. I'm sure you are well aware that FCAW, being tubular and stuffed full of whatever, is difficult to get exact numbers on, especially with varying welding parameters.

I was thinking, if you could find suitable scales with fine enough precision, you might be able to get the tare weight on a piece of steel and weld on it for a measured amount of time. Do the same with the wire (put a small spool on the machine, or roll some wire on a spool yourself. From that you could determine everything you need. Of course that would be for those weld parameters only but you could take it as far as you would like to go.
Or you could just contact the manufacturer for a data sheet and save the trouble. There is an efficiency factor listed for various amerages. ;)
Chet Guilford
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-14-2004 17:15
Hi M-squared!
I do'nt know if this will help but, you can look in ESAB University's website: http://www.esabna.com/html/eu.cfm
Click on lesson #9 and you'll find that the FCAW wires they're talking about are their brand but the equations and their components might help
you as far as deposition rates and deposition efficiencies.
Good luck!

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Calculating FCAW Deposition Rates