Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / dissimilar metals-SS/AL
- - By TRC (***) Date 02-13-2004 22:53
All of the SS hardware that contacts the AL on my trolling motor is totally immobile. So far I have wrung off one 1/4" bolt and the 1/2" clamp bolts have been sprayed with several sprays to no avail. I even put a pair of vise grips on the end and they didn't budge. Putting heat on them is not an option because of the saltwater protection.

SPRING is just around the corner- Thanks-Ted
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 02-14-2004 00:28
smack the head of the bolts w/ a hammer. sometimes AL corrodes a little bit and fuses anything connected to it. once you do get them out wire brush them and spray some anti-seize compound on them.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 02-14-2004 00:34
Thanks WG-tried it. When I put the vise grips on them I tried hitting them with a hammer as well and all it did was strip off material. Does anyone know of a spray that works on this situation?
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 02-14-2004 03:28
Boiling water can help, especially if you can actually boil the parts. If the aluminum surrounds the steel chances are much better. If you get it to move at all then rock it back and forth to help eject the corrosion from the gap. If it moves then 50/50 fuel oil and motor oil seems to work as well as anything to keep it moving. When you put it back together don't forget to put anti-sieze on everything.
Bill
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 02-14-2004 05:48
Hey Bill, when I said putting heat on them wasn't an option I was thinking a torch!!!!! I don't think steam would harm the part-GOOD IDEA.
Once I get this corrected would helicoils help? I did a job for Lockheed Martin and every hole they thread gets a helicoil.

Thanks- Ted
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 02-15-2004 04:22
Some like them, they are less likely to galvanically corrode against the bolts. Use lots of locktite when you put them in so they don't unscrew when you take the bolts out. Threaded bushings are probably and even better solution. All in all seawater and aluminum just present a lot of problems.
Bill
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 02-16-2004 17:01
I remember an old trick about using wax. ( actually I only kind of remember it) I believe that when you want to remove steel or stainless bolts from alumimun where galvanic corrosion has set in, light up a standard white candle (for some reason it has to be plain white, unscented, etc) and drip some hot wax on the threads that are exposed. apparently the wax will somehow penetrate the corrosion and break it free. I haven't tried this, but as I said, I read it somewhere.. I think it was an old issue of Hotrod magazine tips and tricks. the guy that sent it in was trying to remove bolts from an aluminum head that were seated pretty good.
not sure if it will work, but if you try everything else with no luck, what is there to lose?
good luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / dissimilar metals-SS/AL