Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Starting an old SA200 Welding Machine
- - By Harvuskong Date 02-16-2004 15:25
I am having a bit of a hard time with starting this old SA200 welding machine that I have.

It is according to code no. a 1947 model.

Hand crank only. 4 cly liquid cooled engine. F 163, I think.

I have been told that there is a way to make to turn the generator into a motor and turn the engine over that way for a brief time to get the engine to start.

I do have an 480v 3 hp MK 250 DC motor generator in the shop that I can use to supply the DC current needed to do it.

I am just not sure how to go about it. Settings on both machines and etc.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 02-17-2004 05:12
When hand cranking anything- Keep your thumb on the same side of the crank that your fingers are on. Turn the crank till you feel the beginning of a compression stroke. Then put the crank to the bottom, engage it and pull up. Never crank around and around. All this to minimise the danger of injury in case of kick-back.

Got compression?

Got sparks? Turn slowly till impulse clicks in the mag, should be near, probably just past top dead center. Wired right? Find top dead center with both valves closed on number one (nearest fan). Rotor should point to the wire that goes to #1. Have somebody turn the crank a little to see which way the rotor turns. Firing order will be cast into the block somewhere. Fresh plugs?

Fresh gas? Choke closed, crank till a little gas drips, choke open, crank some more.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck.

Bill
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 02-17-2004 05:36
To turn the generator into a motor you set both machines on DC+ and hook up the + electrode terminal of your supply generator to the - electrode terminal on the dead generator. Then hook up the - side to the + electrode of the dead generator. This will make it turn the same direction it operates in. Turn up your supply amps to 300-400 and you're set. We did this w/ an old SA200 that was a bit younger than your's.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Starting an old SA200 Welding Machine