Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SAW wire feeder
- - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-17-2004 02:57
We are currently using a Lincoln NA-3N wire feeder. It only gets used for a few projects a year, but we do use it for various types of metals. (i.e. low alloy steel, mild steel, stainless, inconel, solid and metal cored wire) One of our customers thinks it is too old. (Even though Lincoln still sells it new) Is there any advantage to upgrading to one of the digital ones like the NA-5 or 4 that our customer wants us to use? Will it make the welding easier in any way? Are they as reliable as the old style?

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 02-17-2004 03:59
Hey GR:
Those old Lincoln NA-3's and NA-4's seem to be pretty reliable for the SAW process. I still see them on most of my SAW projects and on the SAW equipment my clients rent in recent months including AGW's.

Not sure why your client would require an equipment upgrade unless there have been problems in the past with your existing equipment. Lincoln does not change much from a technical point (IMHO). I believe this is why these feeders are of the same design for probably longer than I have been involved with the welding industry (30 yrs.) If it ain't broke...
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 02-17-2004 04:01
G.R. Roberts - p.s.:
I'll get to try out a Miller - SAW set-up next month at their facility, I'll keep you posted. I'm a hard sell...
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-17-2004 15:45
I'll be glad to hear about it. The lincoln guy is coming in later today, so I'll see what kind of ideas they have on why we should spend money on their product.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-17-2004 06:40
If it works well and does the job just fine I would stick with it. You can always ask the customer if they want to finance the upgrade then I'll bet they'll think it works just fine.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-17-2004 14:30
I agree with the comment "If it ain't broke....".
Kinda reminds of the comparison between today's GPS units and the tried and true map & compass. GPS has a lot of nice features but people did a lot of traveling before GPS was invented. I, too, own a GPS, but it stays home when I am going on a backpacking trip because my map & compass are lighter in weight and I don't need spare batteries.

I know that was off the subject a bit but the point is that old equipment that is still reliable and functional should not be a problem. I don't see how the customer can require new equipment unless that was part of the contract requirements for some reason.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-17-2004 18:31
Be warned. If you up grade to the NA-5 you may wind up buying new power sources. The NA- 5 has to maintain a +/_ .5 voltage.

You may be just fine, our primary power source created problems due spikes caused by other equipment in our shop.

The new lincoln power packs control the voltage much finer.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 02-17-2004 18:57
I've seen the NA-5's hooked up to Idealarc DC 600/CV 400 w/o problems. Like the NA-5 itself, these are old-school Lincoln power sources.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-17-2004 19:24
Right now we have our NA-3 hooked up to a Miller 1500A, but we also have a Miller 1000A AC machine that we have used. Both are at least 5-10 years old, and I know they don't make the 1500A power source any more, but I don't know what their comensation abilities are for input power variation. Something to look into though.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SAW wire feeder