Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Thermal cutting manganese
- - By cccasey (**) Date 02-18-2004 04:37
Is it possible to oxy-acetylene cut manganese? If so what are the best techniques and gas pressures to use?
Parent - - By cccasey (**) Date 02-18-2004 18:27
Specifically 1/4" plate.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-18-2004 19:24
Hi Curtis,
I believe the inside of our shot blast cabinet is lined with manganese plate (or some variation of it). We had the service guy in here to patch some holes and he used our Oxy/Mapp to cut pieces to go inside. I have to admit the cuts looked pretty rough. I didn't actually see him cutting it, I only saw the plate after it was cut. As far as pressures, I'm not sure.
John Wright
Parent - - By cccasey (**) Date 02-18-2004 23:26
Thanks John,
Thats what I'm finding, it will cut but it's rough. I've experimented with different flames and have found that a low temperature oxidizing flame works the best. Again I'm just experimenting. Just wondering if I'm missing the obvious or if its even recommended to thermal cut.
Curtis
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-19-2004 10:07
Curtis,
I wonder how plasma would handle the cut? Sure does do a nicer job on mild steel.
John Wright
Parent - By cccasey (**) Date 02-19-2004 14:36
John,
You're right, plasma does do a lot better, unfortunately the student that was inquiring about this doesn't have access to a reliable plasma cutter. He works on the railroad and much of it is on the cars away from his shop so it's easier for him to use oxy-fuel. Thanks for the suggestion.
Curtis
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Thermal cutting manganese