Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Brinell Hardness
- - By BankerQC (*) Date 02-18-2004 13:55
Can anyone point me to a table where I might find the normal Brinell hardness readings to be expected on astm A-500 Gr. B pipe ? I canr t seem to recall where to look for these #'s.....maybe in ASTM A-6 ?
Any leads to this info would be appreciated.

BankerQC
Parent - - By Bill A (**) Date 02-18-2004 14:16
When I took a quick look at ASTM A-500 I did not see a hardness test requirement, so you have the option of just using the approximate relationship between hardness and tensile strength if you are trying to use hardness to estimate strength. Tables of conversion between hardness and tensile strength are common. Conversions between yield strength and hardness are less common and are based on empirical data, generally include a lot of conservatism in the conversion, and are most accurate when determined using data for steels of the same or similar grade and manufacturing method of interest. A-500 grade B has a specified minimum tensile strength of 58,000 psi. A common conversion of hardness to tensile strength results in a hardness of about BHN 112 (measured with 3000 kg load) for that tensile strength.
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-18-2004 15:15
Try looking in your steel suppliers stock list book(ryerson,central steel, etc.) Ryerson has a conversion chart for brinell but only goes down to 65000 tensile.

Hope this helps,

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By Mikeomni1 (*) Date 02-18-2004 17:09
ASTM A370 has a table that shows hardness vs. tensile strength approximations.

Example:
Minimum tensile strength of A500 gr. B = 58,000 psi = Approx. 119 HB.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Mike
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-18-2004 17:33
Thanks for that info Mike,
I see that ASTM A370 Table 3 has Vickers, Brinell, and Rockwell A,B,&F values listed vs the tensile in ksi.
John Wright
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-18-2004 19:45
The "rule of 500" applies to carbon and low alloy steels for finding the Brinell hardness number. The BHN multiplied by 500 is approximately equal to the materials tensile strength. Tensile strength divided by 500 is the approximate BHN. It is approximate so maybe it should only be a "rule of thumb".
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Brinell Hardness