Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Difference between arc, mig, and gas?
- - By ChopperCharles Date 02-18-2004 23:29
I work on motorcycles and cars as a hobby (my day job is computers), and on several occasions I've found the need to weld something. In the past I have either taken it to a machine shop, or simply purchased a new part. But I'd really like to be able to do the job myself. However, I can't find a whole lot of information about the differences between welding machines.

I know arc welding uses rods, produces lots of slag, and is damn near impossible to strike an arc with a 110 volt unit.

I know MIG is supposed to be easy to learn and produce strong welds.

I know next to nothing about gas (oxy acetelyne), except not to use it on anything that your life depends on, like a motorcycle frame.

Basically, what are the differences in weld quality and strength for these three types of welders? I'm going to mostly be welding thin sheet metal and at the most 1/4" thick steel to make forward controls, brackets, and frame gussets.

What do you suggest I start out with, and what price range am I looking at to get some decent equipment? I don't want some cheap chinese junk that will blow up on me, but I don't want to spend $1000 either. American Made if possible. 110 volt is absolutely essential.

Thanks.

Charles.
Parent - By gangel99 (*) Date 02-19-2004 04:11
You could do a little research - Finch's book has lots of good information on all welding methods and he is also a car guy.

I work with the same range of materials - sheet metal, 1/8" plate and angle, and occasional 1/4". I use an oxy-acetelyne torch for cutting and some welding. O/A is better for welding light sheet metal than anything else (except, arguably, TIG). Get a decent American brand because O/A is really dangerous when things go wrong.

My main welder is a 110V Lincoln Mig (SP135+) - easy to use and works well. Miller and Hobart also make good ones. I wouldn't buy a welder from Harbor Freight.

Hope this helps.
Parent - By dee (***) Date 02-19-2004 05:53
Chopper,

Hello! Hope you enjoy it here- first time?

You might be surprised to learn that Chrome Moly was welded on airframes with oxyacetylene back before TIG was developed. It's more the guy holding the torch than the torch itself.

It has to do with knowing the process. Most here would say not to use any process to weld something your life depends on unless you know how to weld correctly... the stock answer here is to invest in instruction, use the schools equipment to get to know what you are looking for, and then think about making your purchase.

I wouldnt know how to work metal at all without access to oxyacetylene torch heat for bending and all sorts of sundry treatments and conveniences. I would want that tool in my shop first, without question- at 2 or 300 bucks starting from scratch and all brand new. 110V welders are handled pretty well at Hobart's BBS
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Difference between arc, mig, and gas?