Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Need advice re: video taping welding arc
- - By falcon Date 02-19-2004 00:20
Does anyone have advice on how to video tape a welding demonstration? I am interested in taping demonstrations for my students to review when they return after an absence. I would be interested in any comments or suggestions on which model or brand of camcorders that anyone has found to be successful. Also, any techniques, tips, successes or failures anyone is willing to share would be appreciated.
Parent - - By - Date 02-19-2004 02:29
Scrap the camcorder idea.
You can get a decent 1/4 or 1/3" camera that is smaller than a postage stamp. and mount that inside the lens of your helmet, and power it for a couple hours from a transistor radio battery.Once you get the camera properly oriented it will be showing the student the exact same view you have.
Parent - - By falcon Date 02-19-2004 19:00
Sounds like a great idea. Anyone know where I can learn more about these small cameras? I could use some sources regarding where to purchase and prefered brand names, etc. I need more specifics.
Parent - By - Date 02-20-2004 02:00
Direct from WalMart's number 1 supplier, Communist China via Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078046372&category=48632

Do NOT buy the model with the LED array for night illumination.
These are actually decent cameras and may be siphoned off production runs by some factory manager. Don't get nervous about the price, they make a ton on the shipping and screw ePay out of auction fees by selling cheap.

They also sell a hardwired version that might be superior in a hi freq environment though I don't see any for sale presently.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 02-19-2004 21:15
Rent the most and the brightest camera flood lamps and flood the weld area with light. It works better than through the lens alone.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Need advice re: video taping welding arc