Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Fillet weld performance qualification
- - By SFIENG (**) Date 02-19-2004 15:11
Can someone help me out with interpreting the requirements of D1.6:1999 for fillet weld perfomance qualifications?

I have a t-joint fillet WPS that has been qualified by a PQR per Section 4 of the code. The welder performed the PQR in the 2F position joining two 1/2" plates with 1/8" fillet on one side (W1) and 3/8" fillet on the far side (W2).

One of my questions is where in the code does it address the welders qualification ranges for this type of joint? Additionally, I am not sure where to look for direction on performance qualification coupons and testing for this fillet weld t-joint procedure.

I am way off base on this and missing something obvious or do I need a decoder ring for this?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-19-2004 15:49
Hi Steve,
Paragraph 4.7.4 Qualification by WPS Qualification.

The welder or welding operator who performs the welding on the WPS qualification test coupons is also qualified within the limits of the performance qualification variables defined in Tables 4.3 and 4.4.

Also see Table 4.2 (B) for the PQR testing requirements and Paragraph 4.4.1.

Hope this helps,
John Wright

Parent - - By SFIENG (**) Date 02-19-2004 16:34
Hi John-

I am aware of the words that allow this qualification and the two tables 4.3 and 4.4. As I read it though, those tables only address groove welds and pipe fillet tests. How do I interpret a plate t-joint fillet for qualified ranges?

Steve
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-19-2004 18:31
Steve,
I may be wrong, but I was taking paragraph 4.7.4 to say that the welder is "also qualified" within the limits of the PQR (1/8" - Unlimited thickness per the first line in Table 4.2(B) Plate T-test & Note 3).
To be honest, it doesn't seem to be very clear to me either, as to a range of thicknesses for "T" joint fillet welds. We qualify with a groove coupon here and it covers the fillet weld qualification per Table 4.3 Note 5.

If you think about it, what does the thickness of the plate have to do with a fillet weld or PJP anyway? It makes sense that the thickness is a concern on a CJP groove weld.
Maybe someone else has an idea or knows where to find the info you are requesting.
John Wright
Parent - By SFIENG (**) Date 02-19-2004 20:50
John-

Thanks for looking into my situation. Hind sight being 20/20 I would have qualified a groove weld. I thought that I was going the easy route. I am still struggling / learning the AWS welding codes. I have administered our ASME Section IX welding program for 10 years with no problems but have found that the AWS codes have a bit of grey or not very well defined areas that have been causing me problems.

Thanks again for your insight.

Does anyone else out there have any comments?!!?
Parent - - By SFIENG (**) Date 02-19-2004 21:04
Additional questions in regards to AWS D1.6:1999. Since I now have a qualified T-joint fillet weld procedure per Section 4 (this is covered very well) where does the code address how and to what limitations for perfomance qualification performed on a T-joint fillet weld WPS. Paragraph 4.7.6 states "Performance qualification test on plate, pipe or tubing shall be in accordance with the joint details prescribed by the WPS." OK! What now. Where does the code address fillet weld performance qualifications!?! Where is Figure 4.20 referenced?

Can someone please help out?!?

Steve
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 04-14-2004 22:19
Weld two test plates. Weld one plate (for the smallest size weld to be used in production) on one side of the joint. Use a chop saw and cut the specimens per AWSD1.1, Fillet Break T-Joint. Use a sledge hammer to break the specimens by hitting plates positioned with the weld side up, (root down). Flatten the plate and examine the root. If the plate bends back on itself it passes. If it fractures, examine the weld edge for fusion and the root for signs of porosity, slag inclusions, cracks etc. Lack of fusion or cracks are not acceptable. I do not accept any slag or porosity either. Keep one end of the specimen for microetch. Use a full strength solution of Muratic Acid and let it set on the nugget for 5 minutes. Examine with a 10X or less magnifying glass to determine fusion and heat affected zone acceptance. You are qualified if you pass.
Run the same test with the largest single or multiple pass weld to be used in production. You are qualified 1/8 inch to unlimited for the position you welded in.
Parent - - By tab_1999 (**) Date 05-06-2004 02:29
Take your time and study the AWS codes. Keep in mind that the code presents a lot of information and AWS tries to periodically consolidate the information into the proper sections.

In 96 they revised the D1.1 making it a lot more user friendly than in the previous editions.

It's pretty obvious that you can"t use a sledge hammer to bend a coupon welded on both sides unless you just want to bend the steel.
I believe that the etch testing method would be sufficient but also think the coupon described is for PQR qualification.

Just for grins look at the procedures offered by D1.1 I think it will help.

Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 05-14-2004 21:00
Two coupons...one with single pass/smallest weld size. ..2nd coupon with multi-pass or largest size weld to be used in construction. Hit both with sledge hammer/apply pressure from weld side. Simple, and way above some engineer's heads. In conformance with all applicable editions of AWS code, ASME code, API code, etc..
Very Best Regards,
Vonash
Parent - - By shaun420 (*) Date 12-05-2007 20:20
Just got a quick question...I thought that fillet welds are prequalified joints according to section 3.14?  Why is there a fillet weld section in table 4.2 regarding qualification of fillet welds? Are only certain positions prequalified?  (I am talking about just a simple T-joint with two plates.)
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 12-05-2007 21:39
the welder needs to be qualified
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Fillet weld performance qualification