Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Copper Nickel Welding?
- - By smity (*) Date 02-20-2004 03:43
I have read alot of job offers and spoken to several recruiters that are looking for Nickel Copper welders. I have not been able to find any other info about this type of welding. Is this pipe welding? GTAW or SMAW? Could a proficiant pipe welder pass a Cu Ni test with out alot of pratice? There is alot of demand for this, is there any schools that teach it?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-20-2004 11:44
Nickel Copper and Copper Nickel are used for various applications. My experience (Though a long time ago) was with pipe, machinery shafts, valve bodies,and pumo casings.

Both materials have high thermal conductivity and are sluggish to weld. Unlike carbon steel that will "flow out" away from the arc slightly. The above alloys only "go where you put them". The SMAW rods I used were difficult to remove slag after welding.

GTAW welding requires the came skill as it does for other metals but a different "eye". Make sure the arc is melting the underlying base metal before adding filler metal. Do NOT depend on "melting it out" if you have a suspected defect. The need for gas coverage is greater with this material and also control of heat input. Problems with either will produce a bead with a very layer of grey oxid that sould be removed before additional layers are deposited. Cleanliness is VERY important on these metals. Porosity can easily be developed. Be careful for lack of fusion

Contamination from sulfur bearing materials must be controlled so use the proper metal removal tools.

Hope this helps a little.

Have a nice day

Gerald
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-20-2004 13:25
Just to give you an information that may be useful. A well known nickel/copper alloy is Monel, containing 70% nickel and 30% copper.
Monel is a brand name that belonged to a company called International Nickel, which later changed its name to Huntington Alloys and now has changed again to Special Alloys, if I'm not wrong.
If you contact them, they'll give you every information you need on how to weld it.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By smity (*) Date 02-20-2004 17:09
Thanks for your input. I did not no that Monel was Cu Ni. It is my understanding that you must run a key hole when welding Monel pipe using the GTAW process. Most of the ship yards are asking for Ni Cu welders at this time.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-20-2004 19:32
Monel/NiCu is a common material on seawater systems as is Copper Nickel. We used consumable inserts but a few times I have welded without an instert and I keyholed.

GA
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Copper Nickel Welding?