Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Steel strenths
- - By jer (**) Date 02-20-2004 13:49
Where can I get some info to help me in the wieght calculations of tubular steel used as a stand to support a tank with liquid . Looking for any info on calculating what size and thickness of tubing to use. Most times the customer has this done but on occasions smaller customers ask me what size should they go with.Be it 4 x 4 x 1/4" or 6 x 6 x 3/8" tubing for stand supports. I used the 6 x 6 for legs and 4 x 4 for the cross pcs top and bot. on a stand with the tank capacity of 11,000 lbs.

I know have a tank stand to build which needs to support 8,000 lbs. I am thinking of using 4 x 4 x 1/4" for legs and top cross pcs. and then tie in botom of legs with 3 x 3 x1/8.

I always solid weld with 3/8" weld in flat position.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-20-2004 14:06
I hate to be negative here but I don't think many people will give you that information on this forum. I really think you should consult an engineer on the matter. It really is not safe to make assumptions on how much weight a tube can support without being able to analyze the conditions of loading. You should be able to find an engineer in your area to help you out.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By Bill A (**) Date 02-20-2004 15:14
I agree with Chet. There is a lot more to design than just the static load from the fluid weight. Depending upon the requirements of whatever agency has jurisdiction over constrcution and installation at the intended location, there will probably have to be a record of the design meeting the wind load, possible seismic load, and possibly other loading requirements.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-20-2004 17:17
Takes Chets advise and consult a PE (Professional Engineer) thats what there here for.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-20-2004 17:38
I have seen people over design things themselves because of their lack of engineering knowledge and use materials that cost them more than if they had let an engineer design the thing to start with. And then I've seen it go the other way and they used too light of materials and had it fail which cost them also(time and materials to refab plus liabilities). Engineers get paid to advise, based upon their knowledge, use them like the others have suggested and it will save your hide one way or another in time, materials or liabilities.
two cents,
John Wright
Parent - By jer (**) Date 02-20-2004 21:39
Thanks for the advice. I will consult with an engineer on this and future projects of such.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Steel strenths