Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thermal Dynamics Vs Hypertherm Plasma
- - By rangerod (**) Date 02-22-2004 04:18
I am deciding which plasma cutter to purchase. I have narrowed my choice down to a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81 & a Hypertherm Powermax 1000. I would like any opinions pro & con, Thanks for any info you could provide.
Parent - - By SPARKYCA (**) Date 02-24-2004 17:31
Hi. Just use the search and you'll find previous talk on plasma cutters. I just went through the same thing you are contempating. Decisions, desisions.I finally decided on the thermal dynamics cutmaster 50. The deciding factors for me were that there would be local sales & service. The sales rep. ( I believed his story ) informed me this machine has been behaving well for his other customers. I also tried it out at the trade show & it easily cut what it was supposed to be able to. He also had a good air filter installed on it when he brought it, which will help keep the tips from burning up. I had a 27 amp miller machine but found it too small to do any serious cutting of any thing over about 3/16 inch. You will enjoy less warping & less slag cleanup cutting with a plasma , especially on sheet metal. I would have also considered a hypertherm ,but the nearest dealer is 3 hours away. Hope this helps some. - WS
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2004 18:04
We have a couple of the Thermo Cutmaster 100's and we have no complaints. They have been in service for a couple years now. Only time either one of them were broke down and waiting for parts was when it had several tons of steel dropped on the torch by someone who wasn't paying attention. The welding supply shop had the parts in stock and we were back in business again.
John Wright
Parent - By rangerod (**) Date 02-25-2004 07:10
SPARKYCA

I apoligize, I totally forgot to do a search before posting. I appreciate the info that was given. Mr. Wright thanks also for the input.

Looks & sounds like both these units stack up very well against each other. I have received glowing comments on the Cutmaster 81 & the Powermax 1000 alike. Guess its time to make the call & see how it goes from there.

Rod
Parent - - By - Date 02-28-2004 09:36
[deleted]
Parent - - By - Date 02-28-2004 14:18
go with hypertherm.we use them at work for heavy plate cutting.they work well and least bit of maintenance.thermal dynamics tho is like buying a victor over a harris,you decide.just buy the one that fits your needs and thats cheaper.
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 02-28-2004 15:04
How does a Lincoln Pro-cut 55 compare with these machines here?
Parent - By brande (***) Date 02-29-2004 07:29
The Lincoln plasmas, although much better than before, just don't compare with the current Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics offerings.

Good Luck

brande
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 02-29-2004 07:43
I would go Hypertherm. As long as you had some support locally.

The only time I would go Thermal Dynamics is if I had a chance on their old units, including the PAK 10,44,45.These are not the PAK__XR series, but the original PAK series.

Hypertherm has some good stuff (Max 43, 70, 80, 100 and the new Powermax series), but to be absolutely honest, you really can't go wrong with a unit from either manufacturer.

About all I can say about plasmas is-stay away from any plasma offered by any major welding equipment company. My experience has shown they are all lacking in one way or the other, but there is little difference in price. Miller, Lincoln, ESAB-stay away from these!

Any questions-email direct.

Good Luck

brande
Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 03-01-2004 02:25
Thanks for all the input. We have a Hypertherm Powermax 1250 at work set up on a CNC Plasma cutter. We also have a manual torch Miller 2050 also & I have to say that the Hypertherm just blows away the Miller. Yes I know the Powermax 1250 is bigger than the Miller 2050 but its just the way the Hypertherm just way out performs the Miller, so I agree with brande I'll stay away from the major welding company offerings.

I can get a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81 for $150 less than a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 but right now I'm leaning to the Powermax 1000.
Parent - - By - Date 03-01-2004 03:47
no lincoln don't make the plasmas best they just make the best engine drives
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 03-01-2004 04:45
They definatly do make the best engine drives. I bought a new Miller Trailblazer every year for 3 years because Miller advertised new and improved arc in their literature....WRONGGG....arc is too soft and unstable...Pipe welding i would not recomend with it,,,,,,,,,,also welding with 3/16 7018 rod with the Miller about burned me alive because of all the Red Hot BBs comming out of the weld pool!!! Well my next welder was a Lincoln 305G and i was shocked that it welded so good! After 3 yrs now, its still on my truck and been a perfect running machine. Its no SA-200 though,, I also have a SA-200 on my truck because i cant live without 1 of those...... Anyway, back to the plazma's,,, i have heard diehard Miller fans hesitantly admit Miller plazma's are not worth a crap. Lots of people use Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics i have seen. I have a Procut 55 and it cuts and gouges just fine to me. It doesnt have high frequency which i prefer not to have anyway. It does have a tight cutting arc which is good for the small stuff. Someone told me my machine doesnt have a current foldback circut that will reduce the current if u drag the tip. Well i use the drag tip for cutting above 30 amps and it works just fine. Anyway, it works just fine for me and i was just wondering about the other machines, like what they do or dont do....
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thermal Dynamics Vs Hypertherm Plasma