Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 4340 Steel 5 step block
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2004 16:28
I have a 4340 Steel 5 step block and was wondering what the .060" hole is for? It is located down on the .100" step close to the outside corner and it travels through the entire .100" thickness.

John Wright

Someone here was joking and said it was for a key chain, and I asked them is that how you are supposed to carry the IIW block also(key chain through the .060" side drilled hole)?

Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-24-2004 16:41
John,

I use it for attaching a lanyard. I bought a giant salt water snap swivel to go through the hole.

As far as the IIW block goes, out of the 4 or 5 that I have only one still has the lucite still intact. One good tap with a hammer and you have a great handle.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2004 16:50
3rd I,
Any idea about the small .060" hole in the step block?
John Wright

BTW, good article over in the other post, I'm still reading.
Parent - - By D Smith Date 02-24-2004 17:10
John,
Is your block nickel plated? The hole is for suspending during the plating process. Check ASTM E797 pg. 393. No Cal significance

Dave Smith
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2004 17:32
Dave,
It is shiny like it's plated. Maybe that's all it is.
Thanks,
John Wright
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-24-2004 17:14
The .060 hole is where I put the snap swivel, the lanyard attaches to it. I bought one like coaches use for a whistle.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2004 17:43
3rd I,
I thought you were talking about where you hook your lanyard when climbing steel. :)

You mean you hang that IIW block around your neck like a whistle? Boy, you are one tough UT guy! I think I'll stick to calibrating while I'm still on the ground, I hate the thought of having an IIW block around my neck if I'm climbing. You know, I don't care much for heights anyway.
John Wright
You gotta send me a picture of that thing hanging around your neck. :)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2004 17:53
I was just kidding, I know you were talking about your step block. But I did think of a safety harness when you mentioned the lanyard at first.
Am I one of the few that still carries that heavy IIW block in my UT bag? I see guys with the DSC block, but hardly ever see them with an IIW block. My UT bag weighs a ton with all that steel riding around in there. The guys at the airport really look funny at you when they ask for your bag. I haven't had to fly with the UT machine since 911, wonder if they will let you even bring it on board?
John Wright
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-24-2004 19:31
John,

I've never had a problem flying with a UT scope as a carry on but my collection of weld gages really causes problems. Security does not like the cambridge or the V-wac gages. I started carrying copies of the G.A.L. catalog pages to prove what they were.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2004 19:56
I hadn't even thought of those sharp pointed gages causing a problem. I could see how they would question them if they had never seen them before. I just think it's funny when they ask to help with you bags and then they find out what that bag weighs (the hard way). I don't mind at all if they tote that thing, kinda like the Model MS Skidmore case with all it's contents!
John Wright
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-25-2004 17:06
For some strange reason your comment conjured visions of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Inspectors" going through airport security.
Thanks for that info. I have avoided carrying weld gauges when I fly, the catalog sheets are a good idea.
Chet
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 4340 Steel 5 step block