Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxy regulator trouble
- - By jmac2112 (*) Date 02-27-2004 02:22
I started welding with O/A about a year ago. In a move that has proved to be not so bright, I bought an outfit from Harbor Freight. I have had intermittent problems with the oxygen regulator from day one, and I really should have sent it back immediately. Anyway, now I'm stuck with it, and I'm just glad it didn't cost very much.

The problem is that the regulator will not hold a steady outlet pressure. The oxygen delivery to the torch changes drastically and without warning, and often pulses accompanied by a "thup, thup, thup" sound. Anyone have any thoughts?

If anyone is thinking of buying Chinese regulators, think again!

Thanks,

John McMahon
Front Royal, VA
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-27-2004 13:28
John:

The noise you hear is probably the diaphragm popping in and out as it tries to respond to sudden variations in pressure due to a faulty valve sticking, or seat falure. I would stop using the outfit immediately, and take it to a qualified O-A equipment repairman. (Most welding supply stores can put you in touch with an o-a repairman, or have one on staff). Predictably, they will tell you what you already know - that there are no replacement parts available, and they wouldn't repair it in any case. However, they may be able to supply you with a pair of reasonably priced name-brand refurbished regulators (Victor, Harris, Purox, Aire Liquide, etc.) that you can use with the rest of the outfit you mistakenly bought. (New regulators would probably cost more, purchased individually, than an entire outfit on sale.)

(I'm assuming that you have already eliminated other sources of problems such as sticking flashback arrestor or check valves, and have already been refused action by Harbor Freight).
Good luck!
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 02-27-2004 14:26
John,
Expanding on North's good advice, some regulators are built for high flow rates. I forget even my address, so check to verify that the type2 regulator isn't built for less than 5psig delivery... I dont know the nomenclature- it may be a letter or number, and I am uncertain of teh pressure threshold, but it gives you something else to check before you lay out cash... (Smith, Victor or the others should have an on-line catalog with the data you need to verify your apparatus)
Let me highlight the check-valve issue... I have had similar problems and replacing the valve (or, for test purposes only, eliminating it) have solved the problem, particularly at low flow rates. It may be necesary to use a smaller tip with a proportionally larger flame.

Also, what is the name of the Chineese junk youre sailing on? Some are actually supported by American channels which might be found on the internet. Others are actually so good a copy of real brands that the parts are, according to some advertisements, interchangeable.
Parent - - By jmac2112 (*) Date 02-28-2004 12:51
Good news! I had just been assuming that Harbor Freight would tell me tough luck, since I bought this unit about 10 months ago, but they actually agreed to take it back and give me store credit. I'd rather have cash, but I'm happy! They do have some Victor outfits for more money, and I think that's the way I'll go. Thanks for your time!

John McMahon
Parent - - By - Date 02-28-2004 14:16
i never seen "harbor junk" sell genuine victor sets.performer,range,contractor,journeyman etc..you got dat wong kid
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 02-29-2004 04:52
Catalog numbers 3509-0VGA and 47392-0VGA both use the victor logo and name in the descriptive material on the Harbor Freight site. If they were not actual victor kits that would be a fraud.
Bill
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-29-2004 08:04
Hi Bill!
It's a classic description of a stone age creature aptly named:
"Elfootusinitsmouthusignoramus" again as repeated in the inspection post or in another language:"Esteesunbrutoidiotocompletamente"!!!!
Gotta love those Victor torches hombre!!! All the best Bill!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxy regulator trouble