Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / soldering or brazing small copper parts
- - By dsergison (*) Date 02-27-2004 13:59
I am designing a heat sink to cool a sample to -190 C

I having a 1" square x 3/16" thick copper bar edm-ed with a zig zag track through it and sandwich the track between two thinner plates and try to join them together. Supercooled nitrogen or helium gas will be run through the track.

I think perhaps oven brazing is the way to go?

any suggestions? It cant leak at all and it's goint to temp cycle like crazy. It will also be in a high vaccume chamber.

Thanks.
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 02-27-2004 15:06
will this be one-of-a-kind or a production run?
Parent - By dee (***) Date 02-27-2004 20:21
I believe I have read of an anodize which a Japanese company has patented advertised as being the superior, optimized material for heat absorption. It went in one eye and out the other without touching any grey matter in between, but it's just a comment. I cant seem to find the article anywhere, but I know I read it. They are probably so anxious to find applications for it they likely would go to great lengths to make it work for you if the mechanical properties were tolerable.
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-27-2004 15:08
Howdy neighbor,

Oven brazing would work but i'm not sure about the sub-zero application. I don't if temps in that range would be detrimental to the brazing alloy.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By dsergison (*) Date 02-27-2004 15:27
one - of for now. perhaps 10 or 20 a year if it works?

I plan to try it on a few test subjects and do some testing and cut them up and look at them.

that's the best method I could come up with for making a efficient sink.
I do not think drilling a whole array of tiny intersecting holes would be much fun. and I'd still have to plug the ends in a similar fashion.

as for oven brazing, I have been thinking of trying it out myself. (toaster oven) -but I would like to have the final product done in a bit more controlled environment :)
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-27-2004 17:29
-190 C would be liquid and why not try 300 series satinless tubing.
Parent - - By dsergison (*) Date 02-27-2004 18:54
we were using 300 SS tubing to pipe the gas in and out. We think we need real serious density for the actuall sink, and better heat conductivity.

We figured on silver palting or maybe diamond film depositing on the cu surface.

we should get close to -190 before the helium condenses

I can get 1800 mm square surface area in a 25m x 25mm x6mm block easily with the edm method. I can't touch that with any other method.

Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-27-2004 20:38
Okay! My experience with Cryogenics is pretty limited but "Diamond film"? Did not know that would increase thermal continuity.

Have you considered Silver Solder or is that what you meant by Brazing?

I have used Silver brazed Copper componets to contain liquid Nitrogen (with out pressure) on occasion with out any problems but not for cyclic operations and no great length of time (over 5 days) and we never got lower than -200 F.

None of the joints failed though.
Parent - By dsergison (*) Date 02-28-2004 04:49
well, my brother in law is the rocket scientist (literally) and I am the mechanical designer. He pretty much says what the lab would like to do (make a small cold stage) and I hatch the idea for a month and try to supply them with parts or at least solid models and concepts.

so, that's my cottage industry.

anyway, diamond is the best thermal conductor. which is odd because it is also about the best electrical insulator. it's odd because the two usually go the other way. but not always. has to do with the molecular compactness of the carbon allows it to transmit energy without transfering charge.

anyway, plain copper will tarnish. if it's silver plated that's good. if it's diamond plated maybe that's even better? he says they can do the diamond deposition down the hall from him.

my thoughts were exactly silver soldering. but I/we need to look into wether that will handle the temps.

thanks for the note about the liquid nitrogen contaners. he only has used spun stainless dewars.

Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-27-2004 19:34

Nuthin to add, but this is a really interesting project. Please post us from time to time so that we can keep up on your progress/success.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / soldering or brazing small copper parts