Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / College Welding Technology Texts ???
- - By - Date 09-08-2000 14:28
Greetings Fellow WeldTECH Educators,

I teach @ Conestoga College in Ontario, Canada where we have a 40-week Fitter Welder program in addition to a 2-year Welding Technician and 3-year Welding Engineering Technology program. You can visit us @ www.conestogac.on.ca/welding

I'm curious as to what other schools are using for welding technology texts. Our students had been buying AWS HB Vol 1 + 2 and we were considering Vol 3 + 4 for our 3rd year Metallurgy class. The AWS books are pretty pricey however and I know we would here it from our students. It is TOO BAD that AWS does not give students a break on pricing for there books. I asked about having all of our students buy an AWS student membership to get a significant discount but still not much flexibility from AWS.

I'm interested in finding out what the rest of you think. Does anyone else use the 4-volume AWS set? What about alternatives?

1st week of classes ... gotta get back to it!

Cheers,
Karsten Madsen
Conestoga College, Welding Technology Dept
Parent - By Marc A Brach (*) Date 09-08-2000 18:15
Mr. Madsen,
When I went to college (1998) the text books that we used were Modern Welding Technology (Third Edition, Howard B. Cary). There is now a Fourth Edition out but I have not had a chance to review it yet. The other Text that we used was The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding (Thirteenth Edition, Lincoln Electric Company). Both are great books in my opinion. I work at a fairly large production company (wood harvesting equipment) as a Welding Instructor/Technician. I use the Lincoln Book in the classes I teach, also it has answered many welding questions for me and is quite inexpensive. Well there is my 2 cents, hope it is useful.
Marc
Parent - By - Date 09-13-2000 21:48
I teach at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham, Oregon. We tried using the AWS Handbooks but found that the cost was prohibitive and that the writting was difficult for our students to understand. We then switched to the Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding by Lincoln because the price was reasonable. The students didn't like the book because they had to jump around in the book since it is written as a referrence instead of as a textbook.
For the last two years we have been using the 4th edition of Modern Welding Technology by Howard B. Cary. The students use this book throughout the program. We use Blueprint Reading for Welders by Bennett and Siy, Gas Tungsten Arc Welding by Miller Electric, and Practical Metallurgy and Materials of Industry by John E. Neely to round out the program.
Wendall Johnson - Welding Instructor

Parent - By Paul Gilley (*) Date 09-16-2000 00:08
I am Welding Instructor at Mountain Empire Community College, Big Stone Gap, VA. Just looking over some of the suggested textbooks and agree with the choice of Modern Welding in conjunction with the Modern Welding Lab Manual.
I also use Blueprint Reading for Welders and in the pipe fitting/welding class I find that the Pipe Trades Pocket Manual and Pipe Template Layout, both by Thomas W. Frankland, are excellent and affordable. For anyone interested in using computer generated pipe templates there is an EZ Pipe Software on CD Rom. Very affordable. Just click on www.ezpipe.com. I hope some of the info helps. Also wish that AWS did not make it so hard to use their offerings.
Parent - By - Date 12-05-2000 14:40
I have been instructing welding classes and ASME qualifications at an electric utility in Washington, D.C for the past 22 years. After trying a couple different textbooks I ended up the Lincoln Handbook as well, it is very good and reasonably priced. The only topic not covered is Oxyacetylene skills/safety. For that topic I call Victor Equipment Co. in Denton Texas and the Customer Service department will gladly send the Heating, Cutting and Welding Guides (along with small reference charts) for the students. Since we use primarily Victor equipment that has worked out very well.

The AWS books are used as reference materials in my office, they don't go into the classroom that much.

adriddle@pepco.com
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / College Welding Technology Texts ???