Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Auto-Darkening Helmets
- - By maze Date 03-02-2004 00:01
How do the Auto-Darkening lenses work? What process actually makes the lens darken?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-02-2004 02:00
Here ya go

http://www.hornell.com/hsi/intro.html
Parent - - By wnc (*) Date 03-02-2004 02:13
If it works off of a liquid crystal piece, it probably uses photoresistors to sense when the arc is struck. They'd have to be pretty fast PRs to handle that sort of timing. It probably wouldn't be too awfully hard to make your own if you could scrounge up a liquid crystal display big enough. Maybe use a #3-5 lense in combination with the LCD.
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 03-02-2004 04:11
Why would you want to?

These protective devices carry with them a degree of testing and are certified to meet certain standards of performance. Aside form protection from radiation there are impact tests they have to sustain.
Add to that various patent issues and the like, and it makes as much sense as nearly half the projects upon which I embark.
Parent - - By wnc (*) Date 03-03-2004 03:27
Good point. Knowing that you could if you wanted to is the other side of the coin. If I accomplish anything close to 1/10th of a percent of the scemes that run through my head each day, I'll be performing a miracle. I think it goes right along with taking things apart as a child to see what makes them work.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-03-2004 10:37
wnc,
I know where you are coming from. Oh, Remember all the toys that had lots of extra parts left over when you put them back together and the wondering of what to do with them? Yep, I still do that almost fourty years later. :)
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Auto-Darkening Helmets