Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Stilting
- - By rtrautman (*) Date 03-03-2004 15:45
Can anyone give me definition of weld stilting adn how does this play into the fatigue life of the product welded?
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-04-2004 00:31
I would be glad to explan it to you after you explan what it is.

Could that be a typo?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-04-2004 09:49
RonG,
If it is a typo, rtrautman typed it that way twice. I looked in my handy AWS A3.0 and didn't see anything that was spelled anywhere close to weld stilting. I'm curious what it is.
John Wright
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-04-2004 14:11
I've never heard of "weld stilting" either. I was wondering if someone's spell check was being "efficient" and changed stitching to stilting when writing a job spec.
Chet
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-04-2004 16:59
Hi Chet,
You and I had the same thought but I just didn't type it, in case there was such a thing, and I had just not heard of it yet. I find out new things about our field everyday, so it wouldn't have surprised me.
John Wright
Parent - By insp76 (**) Date 03-04-2004 22:19
I have a friend that made pottery as a hobby and she says stilting is a firing method for making pottery. Now what the heck that has to do with a weld , you got me!!!! unless it`s a pottery weld... lol!!! Yall have a good one!
Parent - - By rtrautman (*) Date 03-04-2004 22:41
This is found in a European spec DIN EN 4133 Notch Class 90 requires weld stilting of no more than 10%. My take on this is that it is Crown Height. Has anyone dealt with crown height restrictions of 10% (height versus the width) before and if so how do you overcome a square butt joint when there is no place for the metal to go?
This is a SAW process and our square butt joints go up to 19mm thick and we can't change the parameters to much because of a Charpy requirement we must meet.
Parent - - By - Date 03-05-2004 03:22
Sir,
I looked up DIN EN 4133 in our companies library databased and it gave the title of the document as: "(DRAFT) Aerospace series - Bolts, normal hexagonal head, coarse tolerance normal shank, long thread, in titanium alloy, aluminium IVD coated - Classification: 1100 MPa (at ambient temperature)/425 °C".
This does not sound as if it has to do with welding. The issue date of the document is shown as 03/01/1995.
Mankenberg
Parent - By rtrautman (*) Date 03-05-2004 13:34
DIN 4133 the correct title is Steel Stacks, if you go to Global Engineering Documents, you will get the correct title. I guess there was no EN in it, it is just DIN 4133 and it was published in 1991. So now that we have the correct title, can anyone help me??
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Stilting