Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / What do you guys think about this school
- - By Impex Date 03-09-2004 03:41
I really want to learn to be good at welding and am really interested in becoming a welder. just curious what you guys think about this school?

http://www.msc.gwc.maricopa.edu/clusters/wt/wt.html

its going to cost a little over 5k , it basiclly sets me up so i can apply for the American Welding Society (AWS) D1.1 certification test in Structural Plate or Pipe Welding. just curious what this gets me? then maybe take some metallurgy classes.

-josh
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-09-2004 15:43
If you are interested in construction welding, imo, your best bet is an apprenticeship in one of the building trades. You earn while you learn, you make decent starting wages (usually around 50 to 60% of journeyman scale, with benefits), you have access to a good welding school as well as a lot of other training from rigging to safety.
These days the building trades expect quite a bit of production out of a hand, but that's a good thing. You will of course have to learn, and do, the other non welding aspects of the job but there are quite a few options. Pipe fitters, Iron workers, boilermakers, Millwrights, Pile drivers, all involve welding, some more than others. 3 to 5 years as an apprentice, with pay increases along the way, getting all your school work done and OJT hours, and you're a journeyman.
And your welding test's can for the most part, be taken at the training center at no cost as it behooves the local to have a pool of skilled and certified welders. Most if not all apprenticeship schools run journeyman upgrade classes and journeymen or apprentices can almost allways go to the welding shop and work on their skills, or learn a new process when they have time.

JTMcC.

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-09-2004 15:48
Far be it from me to talk down to welding education but this seems pretty steep. I might suggest calling some of your local community colleges or trade schools. I got my initial welder training through the Boilermakers Union, I don't know if Unions still provide a source of training for non-members, but you might try looking in your local phone book for trade unions and make a few calls. If they do, you can nearly be guarenteed a job as soon as your training is completed. Best of luck to you and commend you for looking into welding as a career choice! In the 30+ years I have been in the welding field it has always been a source of enjoyment to me and there is a literal endless source of learning that you can enjoy for years to come.
Parent - By Impex Date 03-10-2004 04:35
JTMcC & jon20013, thx for your replies. i will look into what you guys suggested.

thx again

-josh
Parent - By cccasey (**) Date 03-10-2004 14:25
Have you looked into Mesa Community College? Don't know which side of the valley you're on but if you're central or east then I'd look into their welding program. For high school aged people or those under 22 without their HS diploma you can look into East Valley Institute of Technology.
I teach a comprehensive welding program at Northland Pioneer College in the white mountains and know that there are other great welding programs in Thatcher, Yuma, Flagstaff, Page, Sierra Vista, basically all over the state. I believe a student can succeed at a public school as well as a private school it just depends on your determination and work ethic.
Just a thought!
Curtis
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-10-2004 19:30
A union apprenticeship is pretty hard to beat, and I would reccomend anybody with an opportunity to grab it quickly. On the other hand its pretty hard to get into one. As far as Pipefitters, Iron workers, and Boilermakers go my understanding is that the openings are competitive, meaning you can't get in unless you score well on aptitude tests, some are both written and practical. It also helps to have a Dad or an Uncle paying dues.

It would be interesting to hear from current Union folks who know of apprenticeship opportunities and openings around the country. It would also be informative to know how easy/difficult it is for folks to break into the Skilled Unions in different locations.

I know a number of students who take college classes to become competative enough to be accepted by apprenticeship programs. Vocational/Technical/Community Colleges can be a big help in breaking into the Trades.

Every tech college has its unique strong points due to the Instructors strengths, local industry needs and donations etc. Large programs often have a greater selection of technology, tooling and processes, while smaller programs offer intimate environments where personal instruction can be placed on individual student needs.

If you know what your looking for it can help you shop around for the best place to learn.

Parent - By Impex Date 03-11-2004 02:55
cccasey:

i live in chandler; and took some classes at MCC as well and i did look into those classes, but they seem more like welding classes for your back yard mechanic guy and not like a career choice..make sense?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / What do you guys think about this school