Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Bobcat
- - By Proarc Date 03-13-2004 03:42

I have a miller Bobcat, gas Onan engine that I have used for ten years. Today while welding the arc just kind of fizzled down low for lack of a better term. Turning up the amperage made little change. Engine ran fine and idled up when arc was struck, but arc acted real cold. Rods were 6011 and are not the problem. Ground connection was good and all lead attachment points are clean. Can't afford to send this machine out for service because of the length of time, and I need it to make a living. Going to tear into it, and was hoping for areas to look at by folks with more experience. This has been the most reliable welding machine I have owned and has been well maintained. Although all my preventive measures have been more engine related. Thanks for any help.

Greg
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-13-2004 05:45
Brushes could be worn out, something could be preventing the field current from reaching the field...
Bill
Parent - By Proarc Date 03-14-2004 00:41
Checked it out today and the fuse, F1 blows as soon as the engine reaches high idle. This fuse is wired in line to a sealed electrical box marked SR 2, goes to the excitation feild and comes back to the box. Guessing it is a regulator of some kind. So much for the self healing feature the saleman promised :) Thanks for any input anyone might have. Part of welding is tring to keep everything running and in one pile.

Pro-Arc
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Bobcat