Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help-How do I wire from 3 to 1 phase
- - By UKmxer (*) Date 03-15-2004 21:28
I have bought a euro lincoln mig and it has come in 3 phase but has the option to run on 1 phase.It tells you how to change the bars inside and which jumpers to use. But the wire has 4 core not 3 core as on our 240V in the uk.
The colours are brown ,blue, black and earth.
Connected blue and brown and earth to a 240V as UK house plug but do not know what to do with the black.
The brown,blue and black go to a contactor block inside the welder which has a movable middle, which when I press lets power go from one side to the other, but there does not seem to be enough going through to make it work.LED lights but solenoid or wirefeed does not work.
As you can see I am a total novice to 3 phase.
Please help I need to know if this welder works.
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 03-16-2004 05:21
4 wires is for 3 phase...3 wires is for 1 phase. It's hard to say which wire is which without looking at the schematic diagram. For 1 phase there is one wire you don't need...but you need to find out which one.

It could be that you have the right wires hooked up, but the jumpers are hooked up wrong, giving you a lower voltage than you need for everything to run.
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 03-16-2004 13:13
If this machine has the capability of running on single phase, you will need to refer to the schematic or electrical diagram in order to wire it properly. the color shceme for European machines is different from here in Canada. Here, the colors are red, black, white and green for ground. hooking up the black and white along with the ground is the standard procedure here. If you could supply us with the model and serial number, I can source the correct wiring diagram for you. in the meantime, I will check to see if the standard euro colors use a standard wiring system, and let you know which wire to tape off.
Parent - - By UKmxer (*) Date 03-16-2004 15:57
Sorry guys, messed up big style. Bought the welder as a dual voltage but it is not(model:-wirematic 2703 pro(euro Lincoln electric)). I have had it pointed out to me that it is 3x230/400. What I needed was 1x230. So I am well **** off now. This unit is brand new and I do not have 3 phase at my work. I Have 3 100a black boxes on the wall with 3 meters , Does this mean I have 3 phase and I need to add something else.
I do not know about 3phase but I do not want to sell this welder, it looks to be a cracker.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-16-2004 16:25
Uk,
I'm not sure about what type of service you have. Here in the states our 3-phase goes through one meter, as far as I know. If you have single phase service, some here have ran a phase converter that will allow for running a 3-phase machine on single phase. A search online for "3-phase converters" should find what I'm talking about.
Hope you can get that machine operational.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help-How do I wire from 3 to 1 phase