Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Certification for Automation
- - By mudbone (*) Date 03-18-2004 01:17
Could anyone tell me, Is there an AWS certification for Automated welding systems? These are Hard Automated equipment cells that are designed to do one specific weld (no robots). Also, how would we go about certifying the process itself? any help will be appreciated.
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 03-18-2004 08:41
Hi mudbone

I can not give you any info on an AWS certification, but ASME IX covers procedure and welding operator qualification for "machine" welding, which I guess is what you are talking about. While ASME IX really is for pressure equipment, I think it may be usefull for you to look at.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Fabristruct Solutions
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-18-2004 11:48
Hi mudbone,
AWS D1.1 is for structural steel; it also has provisions for machine operator qualification, and procedure qualification in Section 4 of the code. You didn't mention a particular code, so it might be hard to guide to the correct one without knowing a little more about your situation. D1.1 covers structural steel and materials from 1/8" up. D1.2 is for aluminum. D1.3 is for materials less than 3/16". D1.6 is for Stainless Steel. These are "general descriptions" of each of the AWS codes mentioned. If you go to Global Engineering [ http://www.global.ihs.com/ ], they have publications of about every standard or code you can think of. Browse that site and see if something fits your application if you don’t have one referenced in any of the customer’s specs.
Hope this helps,
John Wright
Parent - By simons (*) Date 03-19-2004 17:04
(alias mudbone)

the standard I'm referring to is ANSI/AWS D8.8-97, ASE HSJ1196 Specification for Automotive and Light Truck Components Weld Quality. We have been welding these same type of components for 20+ years, but unfortunatly we are behind the times as far as our documentation is concerned. Our machines are hard automation, so the operators are not technically "welders" but more like Machine operators (load and unload parts, tool changes, minor adjustments, visual inspection). Now, we have some very promising business opportuities and are very interested in "stepping into the 90's".
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Certification for Automation