Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig welding
- - By Merkaba Date 03-21-2004 21:23
I have a question for anyone out there. I need to know if it is possible to tig weld very thin blued steel. As in a banana clip for my rifle. I know the bluing would be ruined, but would it cause any problems with the weld?
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-21-2004 23:01
I've welded clips together to extend them and whatever for other people.
You have to make sure you don't burn through or the ammo won't load or you'll have jams when feeding.

p.s.: Make sure the clip is empty before welding...
Parent - By mo64 (*) Date 03-22-2004 01:10
hope ya didnt have to learn that the hard way
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-22-2004 04:13
If this results in increased capacity you should be very careful. Recent laws involving maximum capacity for magazines could get you into rather big trouble.
Bill
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-22-2004 13:05
Bill,
I will ditto you on that, especially for shot guns.

DGXL,
I like that tip about making sure the clip is empty before welding. :)

John Wright
Parent - - By Merkaba Date 03-22-2004 15:25
It would not mean increased magazine capacity, it is a 30 round clip for an SKS which is legal in my area. I simply want to weld on the little tab that holds it in the gun. It looks like it was tacked on or something and it came right off. Any tips for not burning through that thin metal? The machine i'm using is a Miller, and it does have pulsed TIG. Thanks!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-22-2004 16:00
The little clippie was most likely a spot (resistance) weld.

One good thing to do when trying to avoid penetration with GTAW is to clamp a copper piece directly behind your weld area, this heat sink will absorb extra heat and physically stop penetration from pushing thru into areas you don't want it. If you don't have copper, brass is good and even mild steel will work if it has sufficient mass not to melt when the heat gets to it. The most important thing is to have that heat sink directly pressed against the the work, a flush solid contact will draw a surprising amount of heat.

Secondly. a 0.040 tungsten with a long slim taper will reduce pentetration by creating a more bell shaped arc.

Clean everything to bright metal, 120 grit and scotch brite followed by Acetone/alchohol wipe right before you weld.

If you clamp your part to be welded tightly against the parent material and have a good heat sink behind them both you can probably get a nice fusion weld (no filler) to hold that part in place. Keep a little filler handy just in case things arent perfect.

If we were going into production, welding hundreds of clippies onto gun things, we could talk about pulse parameters, but without doing some trials on same/similar material I don't want to risk it.
Parent - - By mo64 (*) Date 03-22-2004 19:35
i would have to agree with what was said about useing the copper behind the weld zone.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-22-2004 20:41
Merkaba:
I own a Russian SKS myself, nice rifle.

Detachable clips are illegal here in CA. I installed a 30 round swing-out clip (in lieu of the 11 round internal magazine) which is now integral to the weapon. The 30 round clip may itself be inllegal here now as this was installed about 9 years ago. It's getting harder and harder to have fun.

p.s.s: Remove the clip from the weapon before welding...
Parent - By mo64 (*) Date 03-23-2004 16:24
the law makeing drum clips and 30 round clip illeagle here in michigan is stupid.but as long as we had the clips before the law came around we are aloud to have them.
Parent - - By Merkaba Date 03-24-2004 02:18
I dont know the thickness of the clip, but it is pretty thin guage. If you've ever held one, you would know. Um...I would be performing a lap joint on it. I don't want to ruin this thing though because I don't have anything to practice on. I have no idea if it is alloy or just plain steel. I kinda feel like an idiot here, but thank you all for your help.
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 03-24-2004 13:43
just a suggestion, but maybe you could go and buy a "cheap" clip for some other rifle that is the same thickness as yours, and you would have lots to practice on....
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig welding