Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Bluing
- - By Merkaba Date 03-21-2004 21:27
Does anyone know if blued steel can be tig welded, or would the oxide layer cause a problem with the weld?
Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-22-2004 18:23

Mild, Medum and High, carbon content steels can all be blued. However they also each have specific welding techniques and a varying degree of difficulty to weld.

Tell us more about what your welding.

Alloy, thickness, joint type etc.

Parent - - By Merkaba Date 03-24-2004 02:20
The weld is for a little tab on a rifle magazine. I dont know the thickness of the clip, but it is pretty thin guage. If you've ever held one, you would know. Um...I would be performing a lap joint on it. I don't want to ruin this thing though because I don't have anything to practice on. I have no idea if it is alloy or just plain steel. I kinda feel like an idiot here, but thank you for all of your help.
Parent - By Bob Sigmon (*) Date 03-26-2004 21:31
You really need to measure the wall thickness of the magazine. Then you can figure out your amperage setting (1 amp per .001). The small tab will only have to be tacked in a few spots to work properly. I would use scotch brite and remove the bluing on both pieces, tack weld the tab in place and use touchup bluing and be done with it. Use E70 1/16 filler and you should be good to go.

Good Luck! I'm sure that you can to it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Bluing