Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Micro-Tig
- - By PaulyZ (*) Date 03-23-2004 01:38
Is anyone familiar with the Pro-Fusion micro-TIG equipment?

The company I work for is looking into the possibility of purchasing a micro-TIG setup and I am looking for any input on the subject.
Parent - - By ADELUCA (*) Date 03-31-2004 18:58
Paul it really depends on the job you are going to try and weld with it.
We looked at one a couple of months back but decided against it. What material and thickness are you going to try and weld?
Parent - - By PaulyZ (*) Date 03-31-2004 21:22
410 to 420 Stainless fusion, .025" thickness.

Right now we are running at 24 amps for .1 sec, however, we have an amperage lowering device (shunt) inline so the actual welding amperage is unknown.

There are springs within the two cylinders being fused so the size and depth of penetration need to be closely controlled.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-01-2004 01:12
Hi PaulZ!
Have you looked into the possibilty of using a laser welding system for your application, Electron Beam welding - maybe not? Just a thought... How about a micro-plasma arc welding??? Back in the day, Thermal Dynamics had a decent low current, (with a pulse/spot timer having settings down to about .1 sec or so) plasma arc system just for that sort of application and so did Jetline Engineering, if I remember correctly??? Besides, with plasma arc welding, you could significantly lower your heat input and at the same time, have more control of the weld size and depth of penetration... but since you did'nt post enough essential variables, I can only speculate and I do'nt like practicing blindly...
Come to think of it, Perkin Elmer has been using the above mentioned processes for very thin joining applications for quite a long time now:
http://fluidsciences.perkinelmer.com/default.aspx
It ca'nt hurt to contact them to see if they can help...

Another site that will show you some options in process selection for your application would be:
http://www.ewi.org/microjoining/microtech.asp#microres

I like what I see in Pro-fusion's website and I think that Micro-plasma is the way to go for you!!! GOOD luck!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run deep!!!

Parent - - By PaulyZ (*) Date 04-01-2004 03:54
We have a couple EB welders in house, but this tack process isn't very high on priority list.

I suggested the use of Micro-Plasma (along with a handful of process changes utilizing the current equipment), but change is not welcomed with open arms here.

It has been an uphill battlle just to get them to utilize a WPS, let alone make process changes. Since the Pro Fusion equipment will do TIG and Plasma, I wanted to do some poking around.

Hopefully, somone will listen and dare to open their eyes.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-01-2004 14:20
Hi PaulyZ!

Do a google search on micro-plasma welding and you'll find a bunch of companies that offer similar equipment to Pro-fusion's line of welding systems.

Some of them are Liburdi, Weldlogic, jetline to name a few...
The university of Kentucky also released a paper on a non-transferred arc sensor they came up with to monitor the depth of penetration, weld pool geometry and the weld pool surface for better control of welding parameters... I'd list the links but, I've got another dental appointment so, maybe when I get back, I'll put them up for you.
All the best!

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By stever (**) Date 04-01-2004 19:26
http://atwnc.com/

You could contact Doug Salkewicz about the equipment that his company uses.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Micro-Tig