Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME P10I material
- - By chall (***) Date 03-23-2004 17:47
One of our clients has a heat exchanger with a material known as E-Brite (UNS S44627) in the channel/ends. It was built in accordance with Code Case 1496. The channel/baffle has separated from the head and requires a weld repair.

The closest material we have been able to identify is SA240-XM27. It is a P10-I in Section IX, QW422. We need some P10-I material to qualify a procedure and welders.

We have searched the net looking for potential suppliers and keep striking out. Does anyone have any suggestions on where we may be able to procure some of this material, or any other P10-I for that matter (1/4" to 3/8" plate)?

Thanks,
Charles Hall
Parent - By Diesel (*) Date 03-23-2004 18:40
This site might provide a starting point but searching the Thomas Registry can be time consuming. On the plus side there are hundreds of vendors from aerospace to scrap.

http://www.thomasregisterdirectory.com/categories/metals.html
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 03-24-2004 03:20
Try Allegheny-Ludlum Technical Center:

Allegheny Ludlum Corp.
1000 Six PPG Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-5479
Phone: (412)394-2800
Fax: (412)394-3034

Tell the operator you want to talk to someone in the Technical Center in Brackenridge, PA.

Here's some product info:

http://www.alleghenyludlum.com/ludlum/pages/products/xq/asp/P.98/qx/product.html

Click on the Technical Data Blue Sheet link.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 03-24-2004 14:02
Thanks guys. I participate in another board and got much the same advice.

We have tried Allegheny with no luck in the past, but it has been a couple of months. I'll give them another shot.

Charles
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-24-2004 14:48
Hi Charles,

You might try www.rolledalloys.com.
They have been helpful to me in the past while searching for oddball materials.

Tim
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-24-2004 18:30
The Allegheny Ludlum website references A-240 and UNS S44627
on their E-brite page, so it looks like XM-27 and the E-bright material are the same thing. Do you have the certs for the E-Brite material to see if they certify it to the SA-240 specification. If they do, which they would probably have to to conform to a code case, you are probably in the clear for your procedure if you can find any P10I material. However, unless it says so in the code case, I don't think you have to use P10I material to qualify your welders per QW423.1 unless you want to. Also, don't forget to look in Appendix D of Section IX to make sure you consider all the avialable 10I materials.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 03-24-2004 18:57
Thanks.

We have feelers out in a number of directions for any P10I material. When manufacturers discover we're only looking for a relatively small amount, their interest in finding the material dwindles.

As far as the existing material goes, the vessel U-1 lists the material as SA240 E-Brite 26-1. The Code Case originally called this material a P10G. Once the Code Case was incorporated into the BPV Codes, it appeared as a P10I

Since the next shutdown that will provide an opportunity to repair this vessel is just around the corner; it is looking like we may have to cut the existing channels out and use them to qualify a P10I to P8 WPS. If it is successful, we would substitute 304 or 316 stainless for the existing channels (welded to the E-brite head section).

I'll keep the forum posted on our results.

Charles

edit ps - I thought about the issue of qualifying the welders and you are right, we intend to use a stainless filler and it will automatically qualify our welders (all other essential variables will also be met). Thanks for the pointer.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 03-28-2004 21:20
I have been able to obtain pieces of material in the past from the Allegheny-Ludlum Technical Center that were left over from testing and weldability evaluations. I got some pieces of AL-6XN plate from them once that were large enough to do a weld procedure qualification. Ask them about leftover materials they might have in their test lab and they may be able to find something for you.
Parent - - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 03-27-2004 20:58
You might want to try Triangle Engineering in West Hanover Mass.
http://www.trieng.com/qualmat.html

I didn't see 10I listed but they are a great supplier
Parent - By chall (***) Date 03-29-2004 13:36
Sometimes I amaze myself at how simple minded I've become. We do an awful lot of business with Triangle but it never occured to me to check with them. Most of our business with them is in the destructive testing field.

As you say it's not listed on their site, but Dennis & Rob have many sources for special requests. If a small sample is to be had, they will track it down.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Charles Hall
Parent - By chall (***) Date 04-02-2004 14:43
Thanks to all who provided suggestions.

We were able to obtain the material from Triangle Engineering.

Have a good day.

Charles.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME P10I material