Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Guided bend test jig
- - By EVWELDER (**) Date 03-23-2004 18:46
I am looking to build a guided bend test jig to bend 6061-t6 aluminum can anybody help on were to find specs or drawings to build this jig.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-23-2004 19:02
Design a wrap around fixture* for aluminum weld specimens. While it may take more gray-matter on your part to design and build, it can also be used for steel alloys. Keep in mind different radii may be required for different material groups and tensile strengths.

*A plunger type does not work well for heat-treated aluminum/aluminum alloys. The specimens will "kink" where the heat treating has been affected (decreased) at the area adjacent to the weld (HAZ).

p.s.: The dimensions for the fixtures are in the AWS structural codes.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-23-2004 19:29
I "think" the one DGXL is referring to is in AWS D1.1:2002, Figure 4.16-Alternative Wraparound Guided Bend Test Jig. The dims are based upon the specified or actual base metal yield strength in ksi.
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-23-2004 19:32
I don't have a copy of AWS D1.2 that deals with structural aluminum, so you may want to check there to see if the jig is any different than the one specified for in the D1.1 structural steel code.
John Wright
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-24-2004 17:46
a Hossfeld bender can be modified to do the bend tests if you don't want to have to build a whole bender.
Parent - By EVWELDER (**) Date 03-24-2004 23:43
All that information has helped out I think I have found what I am looking for.Thanks for all the help guys.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Guided bend test jig