Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 2219 Aluminum
- - By ADELUCA (*) Date 03-31-2004 18:52
Looking for any information regarding proper process for welding 2219 alum .060 thick the welds will get x-rayed. I have welded this in the past and had a hard time making the surface of the weld bead look smooth like it should, it seemed a little rough. I used GTAW on AC with continues frequency and about 30 cfh of argon the parts were wire brushed with a new stainless steel brush then wiped with acetone. The weld all in all did not look bad and had the proper penetration, but at x-ray it failed for porosity. Is there something Iam missing here? My next attempt may be to use an Argon/Helium Mix or to even weld it in an inert chamber. If anyone has any knowledge of welding this material I would like to hear from you.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-31-2004 19:28
Here is a link with some specific Data on 2219.
http://klabs.org/DEI/References/design_guidelines/design_series/1205msfc.pdf

After you have sifted through the Vairable Polarity Plasma, and the DCEN with Helium, you will note that the author of that article (NASA Geniuses) will for thin sections (your 0.060 material can be considered thin) fall back on GTAW AC.

Here are some tips;

Make sure your edge prep is perfect. A roughly sheared edge will blow an X-ray,

Wire brush may not be satisfactory for oxide removal, try a 120 grit 1 1/2 inch aluminum oxide disk on a 12-18 thousand rpm pnumatic 90 degree angle die grinder. If tube 120 grit flappers on a straight die grinder.

Make sure your balence control is set to provide suitable cathodic etching (I like a good 1/8 inch beyond the weld toe)

Make sure your argon is not contaminated, with adiquate surface prep prior to welding, the top of your weld bead should be perfectly clear and reflective, if anything is floating on the top or a grey skin appears you have contamination of some sort.

If all this is done and you still find a *grainy* appearence on your weld surface you may be moving too slowly. Slow travel speeds with GTAW Aluminum allow too much hydrogen to dissolve into the pool, when the pool solidifies not all the hydrogen can escape. If the porosity on your X-rays is very fine and especially dense at the ends of the weld this may be the case. Aluminum likes to be welded hot and fast. A good heat sink arrangement will help dissapate unwanted heat.

If your using Thorium electrodes stop, Thorium electrodes are the most likely to *spit* into the weld pool, when they over heat small particals of tungsten actually transfer across the arc into the pool. Cerium or Zirconium are better choices when your doing X-ray quality welds.

Forget the purge box/bag Thousands of them are sitting dusty in shop corners around the nation. You shouldn't even need backing gas.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-31-2004 23:48
Hi Lawrence!
I wholeheartedly concurr!!! Excellent advice!!! ADELUCA! take the advice and put it to good use because the man knows what he's talking about!!!
Look for you at the epxo LB...

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 2219 Aluminum