Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spatter Shield
- - By jll Date 04-01-2004 18:05
Has anyone used Spatter Shield before? Does it really help? I'm talking about the stuff that goes inline with your shielding gas.
Parent - By mo64 (*) Date 04-04-2004 05:22
i have never used it before but i would guess if it could hit the metal before the spatter dose it would probably work.also its got to be better then nothing right?
Parent - - By norris Date 04-07-2004 04:01
I am using one unit for trial purposes now. So far it
is fine. What results are you wanting to achieve?
Parent - - By jll Date 04-07-2004 11:09
I'm just trying to lower downtime for cleaning.
Parent - - By norris Date 04-08-2004 00:03
It does help your work surface/jig. the biggest benefit that I have
found is spatter build in nozzle is virtually eliminated. I am using it
on a robotic cell. The build up falls out of the nozzle when it does
accumulate. it helps our members while running production because they don't have to stop and clean their nozzle every 5 parts. Tip life is also longer. We used one tip for 9,860 parts. It does everything they say it should do. Good Luck
Parent - By jll Date 04-08-2004 10:47
Thanks for the input.
Parent - - By spatter Date 04-26-2004 14:12
This is the Australian Manufacturer. The greatest benefit for these products are currently on Robots and the inline anti spatter unit reducing the adhesion of spatter particularly on the gas shroud and tip and therefore increases production by allowing the robot not to stop at a cleaning/reaming station as many times. If we can be of any further assistance please take a look at our web site www.spattershieldnorthamerica.com
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-26-2004 16:36
Just wondering here......
Does the spatter shield cause any changes in the weld zone? Does the anti spatter break down into potentially harmful gases near the weld zone (harmful to the weld but also to people)? Does introducing spatter shield translate to a change in PQR essential variables?

Chet Guilford
Parent - By Pascal (*) Date 04-28-2004 01:14
Hi Chet,

1) There are absolutely no changes nor any denigration to the weld zone when Spatter Shield is used according to the Manufacturers directions. This has been verified through independent laboratory testing performed by the Japan Welding Technology & Qualification Center. The following tests were conducted: Visual, X-ray Inspection, Tensile, Bending, Macro and Fracture. Their conclusion on all of these tests was that Spatter Shield had no adverse impact on the joint. If you would like a copy of this test, one can be made available to you by contacting your local rep (or a Spatter Shield tech staff member) via our website www.spattershieldnorthamerica.com.

2) A copy of the MSDS may be downloaded from the website at http://www.spattershield.com/downloads/Spatter%20Shield%20-%203193%20MSDS%20USA%20606.PDF. In this document you'll notice that the Hazard Ratings have all been classified in the Min/Nil=0 to Low=1 Levels which qualifies as extremely safe. In addition to the MSDS sheets, we also provide specific install and handling manuals along with product training with our installations. If there are any questions after reviewing the MSDS sheet, we would be more than pleased to address them.

3) Since our fluid does not have any affect on the mechanical properties or chemical composition of the weld and parent metals, I don't believe there needs to be any change made to the PQR. Although just to be on the safe side, it would be a good idea to mention in the WPS that an inline anti-spatter system was used just for records sake.

I hope this helps and please dont hesitate to contact our staff at Spatter Shield North America for any further queries, or to visit our website as stated above.

Regards,

Pascal Hatzipalousis
Parent - - By mudbone (*) Date 05-02-2004 15:37
We have an In-House lab, so I am able to monitor effects of process changes. I started using this product in Nov 2003. to date there has been no effect on the weld as far as appearence, fused legs, throat or depth of penetration. The advantage I've found to using the in-line system is cleaning the equipment. With the dip gel, the fixtures and surrounding surfaces were coated with a sticky film to which all of the welding residue would stick. this would have to be cleaned by scraping and scrubbing with solvents. With the Spatter Shield, clean-up is just a mater of brushing or blowing. The only problem I've encountered is getting through to the weld operators that it's impossible to eliminate the spatter altogether. Our weld cycles are short (7-10 second) and a ring of spatter builds up around the outside rim of the nozzle. With no anti spatter, this must be cleaned every 5-10 cycles, the dip gel extended this to about 20 cycles. The spatter shield extends this furthur to 40-50 cycles (and it's just a matter of flicking the ring off). Our typical cell clean-up was about 15 minutes, 10 minutes of that was spent cleaning the fixture. now, the fixture is cleaned in just a couple of minutes, with no build-up.
Parent - By Pascal (*) Date 05-03-2004 00:16
I'm glad to hear your having great success Mudbone!
Parent - By les power Date 04-27-2004 08:06
i we have been using and marketing spattershield here in the uk now for just over a year,prior we had around eight months doing r&d within the uk market place,whilst we started installing both on robots and automatic welding systems we have also done extremely well installing on manual semi automatic mig/mag welding systems,we have just recently formed a partnership with linde gas uk whereas they will become a partner of both orbita welding and automation systems and spattershield,linde will hire both to new and existing accounts the spattershield systems at around £8 per month approx $14,the spattershield product offers you tremendous savings on your consumable items such as tips and nozzles and of course reduces down time for cleaning,it also affords you a level of protection to the work piece,we have over two hundred users to-date using well over two thousand units,there is nothing at all on the market to compete or come near this product,best regards
les power
MD orbita welding and automation systems ltd (uk)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spatter Shield