Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / two begining questions
- - By gunmonk (*) Date 04-04-2004 17:19
i just orderd the victor journeyman set. is this a good all around set up for beginers? also am am currently renting a house that still has a fusebox. will i have enough juice to run a linoln 135 mig? thanks
Parent - - By gangel99 (*) Date 04-05-2004 00:30
Victor is a good O/A brand. The question is not fuses vs. a circuit breaker, but the size of the circuit. The Lincoln needs a 20 amp (30 amp is better) circuit with nothing else drawing current from it. It is not safe to run it on 15 amps which is the most common size in older homes.

Parent - - By gunmonk (*) Date 04-15-2004 21:41
thank you
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 04-16-2004 10:36
It not only needs the correct fuse, but the wiring needs to be done soundly. No splices and twisted wire in the circuit. This is seldom the case in older houses, especially rental properties.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-16-2004 16:24
I agree with bzzzzz. Wiring in older homes is often marginal and it isn't a good idea to run a machine on a circuit that is 75% under-rated. 120 volt machines are low-end as it is and soon you'll be running the machine at maximum. And you don't always know how many other appliances are plugged in to the same circuit, so you could be overloaded before plug in your welder.
Usually, it is not too difficult to run a new circuit to work areas. If you aren't familiar with electrical work, you really should hire an electrician. I believe the statistics show that more people are killed with 120 volts than the higher voltages, and that is mainly because we all take 120 volt circuits for granted.
Chet Guilford
Parent - By cutter220 (*) Date 04-18-2004 03:21
20 amp is all you need to run the welder you mentioned and to tell you the truth the cutting torch set is better in sentimental value than the welder you got.i never knew they made a 30 amp for 115 volt.dammmmmnnnnn.if i was you i would have gotten a ac/dc stick welder for that price because you could have gotten it new and you could have done much more without so many mig/flux core headaches even though those processes are easy
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / two begining questions