Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / IGBT???
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-06-2004 00:34
Hi everyone!
Does anyone know what the abbreviation: "IGBT" is referring to???
I see this used to describe certain inverter type welding power sources so, I'm wondering what IGBT means...

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

P.S. Actually, I do know what the abbreviation is referring to...
I just want to know if anyone else knows in the forum so, give me your best guesses!!!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-06-2004 02:05

insulated gate bipolar transistor
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-07-2004 14:11
Hi everyone!
Lawrence got it right and Bill managed to associate it with another popular transistor type...

However, I do enjoy JW's description of the technology!!!
So "fella's" - are these "thyristors"???

On another note; I could'nt go to the AWS show in Chi-town because my platelet count dropped low enough to concern my transplant doctor... He ordered a "Ten Pack" (platelets) transfusion and insisted that I not travel to Chicago or anywhere else for that matter, until my platelet count increased enough so that it would be safe for me to do so... >:^(
Needless to say that this news really bummed me out!!!
Thank God that it was only a "hiccup" and not something worse like allograft rejection so, I'm greatful and no longer bummed out over this temporary set back... Hopefully by next week this most recent bout of "thrombocytopenia" will be reversed and I'll be able to go about living a "normal" life again (usually it only takes a week for a full recovery after transfusion)...

I'll say one thing about this that has been a blessing in disguise, I've been hitting the books more often in preparation for the upcoming CWI exam so, I'll definitely be ready for that!!!

Lawrence, could you please do me a favor and send me whatever you think might be interesting from the AWS welding show education seminars??? I'd really appreciate it if you could whenever you have the time.

Do'nt worrry fellas! this is just a "hiccup" but, my Doctor (Dr. John Fung, CEO of the Thomas E. Starzyl Transplantation Institute at The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, THE BEST IN THE WORLD PERIOD!!!) does'nt want me to take any chances when my platelet count is low... By the grace of God, this does'nt happen often (only happened twice before in six years) so, I'll be raring to go REAL soon!!!

Wow! I just had an epiphany!!! I'm going to ask my Doctor to install some of those IGBT's in me in order to better regulate the production and level of platelets in my body since my spleen was removed during my tranplant, and my "new" liver alone performs this function!!!
Oh well - at least I can joke about it!!!

Anywho, It's always a pleasure to communicate with "the fellas" in this wonderful forum!!! I guess I'll be "docked in port" to charge up my batteries for a week!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
SSBN
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-08-2004 05:46
Originally thyristor referred to a type of vacuum tube, now refers to SCRs , TRIACs, and probably others that have the characteristic that once triggered they continue to conduct until turned off by current reversal or by zero current for a time. I vote that neither IGBTs nor FETs are thyristors.
Bill
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-06-2004 04:56
Similar in application to power MOSFET's (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor).
Bill
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-06-2004 09:37
It's Getting Better Technology
John Wright
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 04-06-2004 17:44
Inert Gas Blow Tube
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / IGBT???