Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / employer won't cert but I can train
- - By minerwelder1 Date 04-06-2004 23:10
Hi I'm a UT tech and welder at a mine, my employer does not feel they need me certified, but they will give me chances for training,I've had UT I and II classes also I've taken an advanced sizing class are there any other classes that would help me. I inspect piping in both API 1104, and ASME 31.3, I also inspect heavy equipment for fatigue cracks in frames and structures
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-07-2004 02:04
minerwelder1

Welcome to the forum....

I do third party work for several mines and your situation not unusual. A lot of the mine inspectors are experienced welders. An equal number of the inspectors come from the engineering department. But anyway, you may want to check into MT and PT training courses, espically if you are looking for service related cracking on equipment and gearing. You may also want to request money for AWS training materials, (Welding Inspection Technology manual,workbook, HOT manual and some reference material for welding symbols, terms & definations, etc). Even if they are not going to pay for your certification, this would be a plus. The AWS material is a self study format so it would be less expensive than outside training classes.

Are you an underground or surface miner?
Parent - - By minerwelder1 Date 04-07-2004 03:53
First of all thank you for your info I work at a surface mine and mill operation, in responce my supervisor is a CWI and we have most all the manuals we do some PT they don't want to do MT, but they will let me take UT courses thats why I'm looking for classes in UT.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-07-2004 10:01
I figured I would jump in here and give a plug for the Krautkramer NDT schools in Lewistown, PA. Jim Fauth is a great instructor and I really enjoyed his classes. He adds a little humor to the class and keeps things lite while still providing you with a wealth of training to get you started in the UT method. I don't know if you are interested in these guys, but they do a great job and thought I would mention them in case you didn't have any contacts to check out. The main reason I went to this school is they teach on the same machine (a Krautkramer USN 50 back then that was a new machine) that I had at work and I wanted to already be familiar with the menus and how to turn the thing on before I went.
John Wright

Here is a list of schools that offer NDT. Krautkramer is under the Industrial/Corporate heading(you have to scroll way down the page to get to them).
http://www.asnt.org/publications/rediref/educational.htm
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / employer won't cert but I can train