Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Propylene vs Acetylene
- - By TexasWeld (*) Date 04-07-2004 13:39
We are looking into possibly making the change from an aceylene system over to propylene for cutting/torch heating. I have read MSDSs for both and been to a number of web sites that compare the two gasses. I can find information that says each is much safer than the other for one reason or another or cuts better than the other- I am looking for a good source to compare the relative safety of use, how the two cuts compare, and a general cost comparison, or input from anyone who has used them both.

Your help is appreciated-
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-07-2004 13:56
Tex,
Have you considered MAPP (methylacetylene-propadiene)? We use it for Oxy/fuel cutting and seems to do OK for that. All of our welding is done with arc processes, so I don't have any welding experience with it to compare with acetylene.
Just another choice to consider,
John Wright
Parent - By scmait (*) Date 04-07-2004 15:19
Here is a good write up on those fuels discussed and others. This may not anwser all of you questions but it is a starting point.

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/tc/9-237/chap11.pdf

Like John we use Mapp in bulk and are much more comfortable using it versus Acetylene.

SCMait
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-07-2004 16:46
You might want to contact your local welding supply vendor. Usually they have brochures from torch manufacturers on how to use the various fuel gases, cut quality, pressures, etc.

Naturally, you will do whatever makes sense in your situation. But FWIW, we use propane for all cutting and heating. (We don't do any oxy-fuel welding.)

We had used MAPP for a long time, then switched quietly to Chemylene (spelling?) gas because the supplier promised a deal for trying it. The switch was made without any one on the floor being told. No one noticed any difference until they were told about it nearly 2 months later, at which time the comments went something like, "I KNEW it wasn't cutting the same as last week!". (They weren't told WHEN the switch had been made.)

At any rate, we did the same with the propane a few years ago to see if there was any noticeable difference. We have used it ever since with no problems. Likely you will find MAPP, propylene, chemylene, and propane all work fine in most cases. However, when we have any field work to do, it is usually acetylene that gets loaded on the truck. It seems a bit more versatile for unknown work situations.

All the fuel gases are relatively safe to use when you are using the right equipment. And all are potentially dangerous if mis-used. It is worth noting that acetylene at 15 psi and higher can become unstable. The acetylene is dissloved into acetone inside the cylinder to make it stable for storage. The other gases I mentioned are stored as a liguid in the cylinders and could be used at full cylinder pressure, although it would not be practical that way.

Hope that helps,
Chet Guilford
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-07-2004 18:51
Hi Chet,
The sneaky approach simply would not fool anyone in our shop. There are too many gas leaks around and someone would notice the difference in the smell of the shop. :)
John Wright
Parent - - By cutter220 (*) Date 04-08-2004 05:16
go wit the frikkin propane.oxy/propane cuts the metal much cleaner and smoother although you might have to use a tad bit more of oxygen but oxygen is cheap and a 5 gallon propane tank to fill cost around 8-10 bucks and lasts as long as a 35 dollar exchange of a 145 cubic feet acetylene.so do what ya want.i don't care
Parent - - By cutter220 (*) Date 04-08-2004 05:26
oh come on chet,aren't they going to notice the shape of the tanks?...come on =-D
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-08-2004 10:28
Our's (gasses) are stored outside in great big bulk tanks (several thousands of gallons) and supplied to each work area by means of piping throughout the plant, so no one would notice unless they went back there where all the tanks are (behind the building) and saw the color of the tank itself wasn't bright yellow like the MAPP tanks are. Then again the smell of propane (if the heaters aren't running) might would clue them in. :)
John Wright
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-08-2004 13:02
The production people didn't have access to the tanks, they are manifolded outside the building in a separate area. The maintenance people do all the tank switching. Foremen were aware of the switching but it was all kept quiet to see if anyone would notice the difference.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Propylene vs Acetylene