Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Re-certification complaint
- - By stever (**) Date 04-07-2004 19:33
[deleted]
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 04-07-2004 19:57
I don't believe being a member is a requisite to recertification

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 04-07-2004 20:24
stever:
While being a member is "not a requisite to certification(?)", you are experiencing what many AWS members I know are experiencing.

I renewed my membership last year only out of necessity for my SCWI renewal and I will not be a member again unitl my certification is up for renewal again in 3 years. I let my CWE lapse last year also, just another piece of paper on the wall and more headaches with the AWS.

There is a previous post by one of the AWS marketing people regarding some of these topics. Many of my past students have had nothing but problems with AWS's accounting dept. as have I. The list of complaints are repetative ones (lost checks, applications, etc.)

Many of my friends are letting their memberships lapse due to the slowly diminishing quality of customer service. The complaints are many and valid and the service only gets worse. For those who have not had any problems, this does not mean that you won't experience any in the future. The way the ORG has been operating the last few years, it is inevitable your time will come...
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 04-08-2004 11:58
I could be wrong since I don't have an application in front of me, but memory says that you do have to be a member to be a CWI. Seems that when I first got my CWI in '91 you did not. Then they started collecting 1 year membership at renewal in the mid 90s. Now they want 3 years membership at renewal. Forced membership into a monopoly. Does not seem right but if you are gonna be a CWI, etc. I guess you gotta play the game unless enough pressure can be brought to AWS to get them to change their policy.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-08-2004 12:40
Call Terry Perez, Director of the Certification Department. She is very competant, very understanding and also wants her department running well. While membership is NOT a pre-requisite for any AWS certification, pricing may be affected for renewal. I have had excellent service from the AWS certification department but reiterate if you're experiencing problems, go to the Manager. Myself being former Assistant Director to the Certification Department, I can tell you with complete confidence that the personnel working in that department have little, if any experience except for processing applications within a given set of criteria. Good luck!
Parent - - By stever (**) Date 04-08-2004 13:52
[deleted]
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-08-2004 15:16
stever; I understand your frustration. I still advise you call Terry because, like I said, she may not even be aware there is a problem. Remember, the people who process our applications are, for the most part, clerical. It would just be a shame to see you give up your cert because of anger or failure on both sides to do anything. Wish you lots of luck, give her a call!
Parent - - By stever (**) Date 04-08-2004 16:41
[deleted]
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-09-2004 12:04
Good move stever! I guess it's natural to be p*ssed off in your situation but I'm sure once you speak with Terry things will be made right. Good luck, keep us posted!
Parent - - By stever (**) Date 04-13-2004 13:20
[deleted]
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-14-2004 17:23
stever; I've copied your posting and sent it to Terry Perez via e-mail asking her to respond to you, preferably in this forum. I am confident she will respond once things settle down.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-14-2004 18:26
jon,
This is not a good thing. I hear of more and more of this. How are we supposed to invite and encourage people to join up if they are hearing about how much trouble this is? I'm also fighting with the excuses of not joining like, "What will this memebrship do for me besides receiving a 75 buck subscription to a magazine?" People I work with won't get involved, won't join, saying everything is simply too expensive to justify the expense. I'm afraid I understand. If my company wasn't picking up all this expense....certification, membership, code books, etc... I couldn't afford it either. So, what do we do? I hear that number of membership is up, but none of my collegues are contributing to that number. What are good tools for getting people to join? I invite as many as I can to the section meetings hoping to spark someone's interest, I even pay for their ride up there if they will just go, but very few takers. Only one this year has made the effort to go with me to the meetings and he rode with me and it didn't cost him anything but his time.
John Wright
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 04-14-2004 18:59
Ditto here. Can not get involvement from employees. Of course many are interested in hitting the bar 23 seconds after the bell rings and don't really have an interest in bettering themselves anyway. None the less, the few that have shown an interest express the same complaints as the ones John mentioned.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-14-2004 20:28
I guess I have had the rare situations? I haven't had any problems over the last ~16 years in contacting AWS, or in getting information I needed on occasion. I know some people who have had problems such as have been described here so I have been forewarned. Because of that I take a few precautions but nothing I wouldn't consider reasonable business practices.

When I send in my information for CWI renewal, I send it via FedEx. That way I get an indication that it has been received, and people seem to give Fedex envelopes more attention than they do for regular mail. I always keep copies just in case, and I follow up by calling a few days later to make sure the Certification Dept. got the package. Not "When will you do your job and get my papers to me?", rather "Did you get my package? Are there any problems that you noticed?".
When I can't reach someone by phone, I have found that a polite email to someone higher up on the "food chain" has worked very well. There is an email listing on this web site. By emailing, I have sometimes learned that the AWS person I was trying to contact would not have been the right person for my question anyway, and the person I was directed to was able to quickly solve my problem.

I know many people feel the expense and aggravation of maintaining their CWI cert is not worth the effort. And for them, those are valid points; to each his own. I can tell everyone that when I first got my cert it meant the difference between depending on an unemployment check and being gainfully employed (didn't gain quickly but it was still forward progress). The job market was pretty tough at that time in my area. And I can say my CWI cert has opened some doors for me that might not have been otherwise. I believe I will be maintaining my cert until retirement years from now.

As far as meetings go, most of them are at least a 2 hour drive or more for me. Kinda hard to work 10+ hours a day and drive 4 hours more. Especially when I would drive past my house and still have another 110 miles to go.

Enough rambling from me,
Chet Guilford
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 04-14-2004 20:50
I'll will need to recertify soon. When should I contact them and get things rolling? I thought they told us 6 weeks before you cert expires would be a good time. I cant remember. Also will I have to go take the test again or is it a matter of just sending in cash. I have both the CWI & the CWE. Probally will just get the CWI this time now that I know better.

Thanks

kam
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 04-14-2004 21:33
If you are a member the cost for re-certification is reduced by $200.00.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-14-2004 23:26
Hi Chet,
I'm really hoping the troubles we've heard about are only the exceptions and not the rule. I know bad news travels much quicker. Hopefully some people will post with nothing but great experiences to share, and balance the scale more on the good side. First impressions usually stick and are hard to overcome, I hope the new CWI's or members being first timers will have only good experiences and good things to say.
John Wright
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-15-2004 14:46
stever; glad to hear you got some answers even if they werent exactly what you wanted to hear! I forgot to mention in earier posts, I'm sure Terry has been up to her you know what with the Welding Show so it doesnt really surprise me that things have taaken a little while. Normally, she is excellent at resolving these issues in a timely manner. Good luck! To all: I have maintained my CWI for more than 24 years now and can only say that many many good things have come my way because of it!
Parent - By rtstrong Date 04-29-2004 14:30
Stever I can understand your frustration but don't let one persons mistake cause you to do away with an important certification. I have held my cwi for nearly 9 years. As a matter of fact I plan to take the 9 year recertification course in august. I have sent my money and application in already, they cashed my check and now I am waiting for their next move. Hopefully all will go well for me. I did make a copy of everything too just in case ( old habit ) !! Anyway we do not live in a perfect world. I have had similar problems like yours with other organizations. Hang in there I am sure things will work out for you. Fellow CWI R.T. Strong
Parent - By srw2506 (*) Date 06-23-2004 01:00
I deduct the exspence from my taxes,no loss,its a business exspence,training,certification,associations,subscriptions,get a tax program.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Re-certification complaint